Cannot re-use Retail Win7 License

I'm trying to re-activate my retail copy of Win7 Home Premium but having some problems, had to buy a new motherboard as my old one died on me which Windows doesnt seem to like as it's giving me an 'unable to activate product' message.

Tried phoning up the activation line and that's telling me that my key is not valid for use on more then one computer, but I was under the impression that non-OEM keys could be re-activated as long as they were not being used on multiple machines at the same time.

Is this true and if so where do I need to go to sort this out?

Dont particularly want to have to buy a new £80 copy just because of a previous hardware issue, would be a 'little' bit unfair...

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 683 Applies to:
Answer
After it says you can't, you should be given the option to speak with a customer service rep. Tell them your situation, and they should give you an activation code.

--

Dustin Harper
*** Email address is removed for privacy ***
http://www.mstechpages.com  Microsoft News, support, FAQ's and much more!
"FlamingGerbil" wrote in message news:3d936634-ff84-44e0-94db-89d502c52860...
I'm trying to re-activate my retail copy of Win7 Home Premium but having some problems, had to buy a new motherboard as my old one died on me which Windows doesnt seem to like as it's giving me an 'unable to activate product' message.

Tried phoning up the activation line and that's telling me that my key is not valid for use on more then one computer, but I was under the impression that non-OEM keys could be re-activated as long as they were not being used on multiple machines at the same time.

Is this true and if so where do I need to go to sort this out?

Dont particularly want to have to buy a new £80 copy just because of a previous hardware issue, would be a 'little' bit unfair...

Dustin Harper *** Email address is removed for privacy *** http://www.mstechpages.com --- Windows Help and Support Page
Dustin Harper
There is no such thing as a dumb question. If in doubt, ask.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.