Upgrade from Backup disc not possible?

I bought an upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium (from Vista 64) via the store, downloaded the upgrade file - geez thats a big one :) -  but could not install it kept coming up "crc error".  Tried a couple of times to download again, but always ended up with crc error when running the file. So I thought, ok, wait for the backup disc in the post.  The latter arrived today (took two weeks).

Put that in the dvd drive, an up comes an error message (contained in a txt file) claiming it cant install from dvd unless the op sys supports ISO13346 UDF file system spec.

I am assuming that translates to the fact that the back up disc will only work (in terms of op sys install) if Windows 7 is installed.  If I am correct, and I am posting this to check my assumption, then it looks like I must go back and fight the good fight on clean download of the original upgrade file (I've tried many ways including download managers).

The catch 22 of a op sys install backup disc that will only allow install if the op sys is installed is worthy of Monty Python, you couldnt make it up ....  :)

Anyway, having allowed myself a mini-winge .....  grateful for advice as to whether or not I need to hit the download route again, or if in fact I am making a basic error somewhere.

Phenom2 8Gb  1Tb disc (currently has Vista 64), checks out ok on upgrade advisor, all "green"

Any advice/assist gratefuly received.

Regards
Zy

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 316 Applies to:
Answer
Wow, that was incredible :)

I finally managed to get a clean download of the Install files, they unpacked well, and the upgrade routine started.

Having suffered Op Sys installs since Windows 3 first came out in 1990, it was with a feeling of some trepidation ......  all the Op Sys changes for the last 20 years had fallen over when doing the initial upgrade to a new Version, resulting in nightmares, every-single-time ....... until now.

This went like a dream.  It was an Upgrade install - not clean install - over a Vista64 installation.  Took 90 mins overall, slick and easy.  All programmes transfered across no trouble, no hours of programme installs ....  I have a lot on the beast, all in no messing, no reinstalls, very impressed.

A dose of Humble Pie eaten this end.  Well Done to the Devs, you turned a Doubting Thomas into a raving fan of MS installs again, no mean feat after my 20 years of "Upgrade Nightmares".

This thing has my Vote already and I have not started to use it as such yet.

Nice One .... Well Done Guys ....  *bows and scraps in humble thanks*  :)

Regards
Zy

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.