Multiple OS install for an application

Hi... I hope this is the correct forum for the question. 

I have & need multiple installations (XP/Vista/Win7, etc). I often have a program/package (e.g Office 1993/Office 2007) which needs to be installed on multiple OSes.  I know that I can use Virtual PC to install everything in a virtual installation, but is it possible to use another drive (for example an external drive visible to all OSes) to install the program just once (one installation instead of one per OS , thus saving space).  Obviously the registry would be held locally for each OS installation, but does the physical installation need to be too?  How is this affected by the Program Data folder in Vista/Win7?

Thanks, Jeff.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 459 Applies to:
Answer
What I do when I need to do this is a custom installation, putting the program onto a different hard drive (eg e:\).  Unfortunately it does need to be installed (and activated) PER OPERATING SYSTEM because of the Registry entries which are unique to each O/S.  But the 80% of the program files are installed to e:\, so do not take up more and more drive space.

I'm not sure that there was an Office 1993 application, but I'm taking it to mean Office 2003!!!!!  There was an Office 1995 and Word 6.0 before that.

Just ensure you do not install more than one version of Outlook.  They do not play nice together. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.