Can I Upgrade?

Hi,

I bought a second hand computer from ebay in July, which has Windows 7 Ultimate. Being a know nothing non computer type, I didn't realise that Windows 7 had not even been released yet.

I received notification from Microsoft 2 weeks ago that I was in fact running a trial version and needed to buy the proper release. I managed to get in touch with the ebay seller and he said he still had the computers original OS software, XP, which I can have if I want.

I like W7 and want to keep running it, I'm not bothered about Ultimate, the basic Home will do me, but I'm not 100% clear on what my options are though.

I currently have:

Windows 7
Evaluation Copy. Build 7100

Ideally I would like to go with the cheapest option which is an upgrade to Home-Is this possible?

I have been told I need to reinstall original OS (XP) to qualify for an upgrade-Is this true?

I am in the UK by the way.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

John

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 247 Applies to:
Answer
The Windows 7 upgrade licence requires you to own a copy of a qualifying product. If you get the original software and the XP Certificate of Authenticity with the product key you own the copy and qualify for an upgrade edition of Windows 7. If the computer was originally supplied with an OEM copy of XP the CoA should be attached to the computer.

Microsoft's instructions say you should start with an installed copy of a qualifying product but that is not legally necessary. You can install the upgrade using Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.