Windows easy transfer can't continue while other programs are open & access denied to My Documents after transfer

I upgraded from XP to Win 7 using the Windows Easy Transfer (WET) software and an external hard drive. The upgrade went fine.

Transferring files onto the upgraded PC using WET led to 2 error messages: There were 2 program settings files that were identified as problems with the message "Windows easy transfer can't continue while other programs are open" and apx. 300 documents identified as problems with the error message "Some of your files you are transferring might be in use". There were no other programs running at the time. The only workable option to proceed with the transfer was to choose "skip these files and continue transfer" - which seemed to go fine.

After the partial transfer I found that I could not open "My Documents" or the Recycle bin receiveing the message "access denied". I tried changing the share/permission settings under the properties tab and managed to open the recycle bin to "all users". This repair did not work with "My documents". There remains a small lock icon next to both of the above even though I can now access the recycle bin.

I tried to run the WET software after booting up in Safe Mode - but it would not run under this mode. Help please!

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 1,055 Applies to:
Answer
I don't have advice for WET, but this may allow you to recover your files:

Usually, but not always, after installing Windows 7 you will have a Windows.old folder on your C: drive that contains data from the previous Windows installation. If this folder is on your hard drive it will contain all your files.

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.