Windows 7 Upgrade 32-bit Failed Installation

Hello,

I am attempting to upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit to Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.  I obtained this upgrade from a download, and my installation is failing. 

At 21% of the way through the "Expanding Windows Files" process, the installation quits with the following message:

"The Upgrade was canceled.  Any changes that were made to your computer during the upgrade process will not be saved." AND in a bow below that message: "Setup can't continue.  Your computer will now restart and your previous version of Windows will be restored."

No reason is given for the cancellation of the upgrade.  I have, however, run the Windows Upgrade Advisor, which has shown that my computer is fully compatible.  All programs that it advised me to remove have been removed.  I've also removed all external devices from my computer during the installation. 

I fear I may have a corrupted installation file of some kind but am not sure of anything.  I'd appreciate if anyone has any suggestions, or has been in this situation before and or knows what to do!!!

Alex

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 1,528 Applies to:
Answer
Troubleshooting Tips To Solve Common Problems When Windows 7 Does Not Install - try anything you have not done yet.

1. Run Windows Upgrade Advisor to see if there are any known issues that might affect the installation and fix them.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

2. Disable all security software: anti-virus, firewall etc. Remember to enable afterwords.
3. Make sure your computer has the most recent BIOS and drivers. Updating the BIOS can be risky, only do this if nothing else works.
4. Disconnect all external devices except keyboard and mouse before installing.
5. If using a video card and the computer has integrated video use that and remove the video card.
6. Unplug your computer from the internet, if you have wireless disable it.
7. RAM (memory) - reduce the amount of RAM. 1GB if installing 32bit, 2GB for 64bit, then replace RAM if the upgrade is successful. Also if you just added new RAM make sure it's compatible.
8. If you have multiple hard drives remove all except the one you're installing Windows 7 on, then replace after Windows 7 is installed.
9. If you downloaded Windows 7 and burned it to a DVD try burning it again at the slowest speed possible. It's also possible the download may have errors, you could try downloading it again.

10. Check your RAM (memory) for errors. May take awhile, only do if nothing else worked.
   A) Insert the Windows 7 DVD and restart the computer.
   B) Boot from the Windows 7 DVD.
   C) Choose your language, then click Next.
   D) Click on "Repair your computer" then select the operating system to repair.
   E) Click the Memory Diagnostics link on the System Recovery menu.
   F) The computer will restart and your memory checked for any errors.

11. Disable Startup Programs:
   A) Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
       OK User Account Control permission and enter password if any
       If using XP: Click Start, click Run, then type: MSCONFIG and click OK.
   B) On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
   C) Right below Selective Startup, uncheck the "Load Startup Items" check box.
   D) Click the Services tab, click the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box, then click Disable All.
   E) Click OK, then restart the computer.
   F) Attempt the upgrade again.

(NOTE: if the upgrade doesn't work and you continue to use XP/Vista turn your security software back on, then also return to MSCONFIG and on the General tab, click "Normal Startup" then click OK to exit.)

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.