What is the point of having a User Account when I'm the only one on the computer?

Just doing a new install and for some reason it set up a single account as an Administrator.  Normally it sets up a user account.  It did ask me for this later as well (I think) this time and I titled it but then for some inexplicable reason it didn't seem to appear again and I just started getting things working through the Admin account.  Well now, hours later, I realize that probably wasn't so wise.  Normally I've read people recommend setting up a user and using the Admin account only when needed.  As I'm the only user on this machine this all seems very redundant and just plain illogical.  Microsoft acts like we are all running the world through our empirical network.  We aren't.  Most are like me.  Single user.  So I'm wondering if there's any way of somehow bringing all the settings I've spent hours adjusting, over to the user account?  Or should I even use one?  I just want to never have to open things as an Administrator as this wastes so much time.  I've disabled Secondary Login and other "help" services where other people can change things on your computer and never use wifi on this machine.  Hopefully the chance of me being hacked is minuscule. 

Often I can't even open folders like Documents and Settings even when I log in as the Administrator.  How can that even happen?  Who is higher than the Administrator?  The Administrator's Administrator?  Its utterly baffling.  

Under Properties of the drive, Security, I see 4 lines.

Authenticated Users

SYSTEM

Administrators (my_username\Administrators)

Users (my_username\Users)

You'd think I'd see Administrator and my_username.  But no.  That would be logical and pragmatic.  

All seem to have full control except for Authenticated Users.  Its just bizarre that Microsoft doesn't have popups that explain what each does.  99.99% of Windows users are just lost when they look at this.  You just wonder what world these people were hatched in that designed this.  Absolute ZERO logic here.  

Maybe somebody here can cast some light on this.  If they can't fix it in 12 years they're probably not going to bother now!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Right click start, click run, enter netplwiz, uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

Enter information in Users for this computer.

Click Apply, click OK

-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you.  I'll see how that works.  Let me know if you can recommend a good article on User accounts and their purposes.  It bewilders me. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just a little thing;  If there were no user account the anyone in the world could access the computer and get all of your information.

They try that any way and that is what the security programs, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, are there to help you.

-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think the issue is whether people use a password, isn't it?  Just having a user account with no password seems to be rather ineffective.  What do you think?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you.  I'll see how that works.  Let me know if you can recommend a good article on User accounts and their purposes.  It bewilders me. 

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-built-administrator-account-enable-disable.html

Note

Standard user (Users) - The standard account is an unelevated restricted users account. It can help protect your computer by preventing users from making changes that affect everyone who uses the computer, such as deleting files that are required for the computer to work. It is recommend to create a standard account for each user instead of an administrator account for the user. When you are logged on to Windows with a standard account, you can do almost anything that you can do with an administrator account, but if a standard user wanted to do something that requires elevated rights that affects other users of the computer, such as installing software or changing security settings, Windows will give the standard user a UAC prompt to enter the password of an administrator account for approval and confirmation before allowing the action.

administratoruser - Is an unelevated administrator account that is created by default during the installation of Windows 7, or is already setup or you on a OEM (ex: Dell) computer. An administrator account has complete access to the computer, and can make any desired changes. To help make the computer more secure, this administrator account type will be prompted by UAC by default to give confirmation before allowed to make any changes that require elevated administrator rights. Such as those that affect the system, other users, or when running anything elevated (Run as Administrator) since running elevated will allow it to have access to the entire computer.

Built-in "Administrator" - Is the hidden elevated administrator account that has full unrestricted access rights and permission on the computer. By default, this elevated "Administrator" account is not prompted by UAC by default to provide confirmation before allowed to make any changes that require elevated administrator permissions since it is an elevated account.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/181024-user-account-create.html

Note

Guests - A guest account allows people to have temporary access to your computer. People using the guest account can't install software, hardware, or change settings. While the default "Guest" account cannot be password protected, an existing user account made into only a guest account using an option below can have a password.

Standard user (Users) - The standard account can help protect your computer by preventing users from making changes that affect the system or other users. If a standard user wants to do something that affects the system or other users, they will get a UAC prompt to provide the administrator's password before being allowed to do so. If UAC is not turned on, then the standard user will not be allowed to do so.

Administrators - Administrators have complete access to the computer and can make any desired changes. To help make the computer more secure, administrators may get a UAC prompt, if UAC is turned on, to provide their password or confirmation before being allowed to make changes that affect the system or other users.

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - Dec 2020

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I need articles that are for single users.  Reading this looks like its for a huge corporation.  99% of it is completely irrelevant.  Look, I appreciate the reply but you have to realize that there is just way too much info out there to learn to be concerned with stuff that doesn't apply to you.  So I need a guide (as most computer users do as I would think most of us do not share our machine with others) for single users. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is for a single user, as well as multiple users.

And if you have problems with the operating system, it is not irrelevant to explain the different types of accounts.

You asked about User Accounts and their purposes.

That's what I gave you.

You need to know this to use your computer correctly

And in your original question you touched on the subject of Admin Accounts, which is also explained for you.

Just doing a new install and for some reason it set up a single account as an Administrator.  Normally it sets up a user account.  It did ask me for this later as well (I think) this time and I titled it but then for some inexplicable reason it didn't seem to appear again and I just started getting things working through the Admin account.  Well now, hours later, I realize that probably wasn't so wise.  Normally I've read people recommend setting up a user and using the Admin account only when needed. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well obviously we can't get away from the Administrator account!  Right?  :) 

So can one just set things so the user has all the power of the Administrator?  So many times I need to "log in as Administrator" to do stuff.  Must have done something wrong in the install.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you read the information you were given, you will know what to do.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I guess what we all want as a single user is to have the power of the Administrator but have it set up where an intruder wouldn't have that power.  Does anyone know how to do that?  Surely this can't be difficult.  I find the hierarchical type system Microsoft uses absurd.  They can't even name things logically.  Levels should have clearly defined names.  Instead you have

Administrator

Administrator User

Authorized User

Users

Guests

Probably several more.  Do you see how ridiculous this is?  I often see this in tech.  Designers in this field seem to think its cool to flout convention for no other reason than to be different.  Its not cool people.  Its stupid, plain and simple.  Think of how well a car would sell if the steering wheel, brake, clutch and gas pedals were in different areas.  If something works fine you don't change it unless you have a clearly superior design.  That's good thinking in design. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2024 Views 949 Applies to: