I can't open setup.exe of Windows 7 64-bit on my Windows 7 32-bit PC.

Hi! I just bought Windows 7 64-bit key and downloaded the .iso file.Now I have a problem with my Windows 7 64-bit setup because I am not able to open the file.It shows me the following error:"

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86(32-bit) or x64(64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

My computer specifications are:

And yes, if you're asking my PC is capable to 64-bit.See:

I've installed before the Windows 64-bit in this PC, but now I don't know why it's not working anymore. It requires a 64-bit system to install Windows 7 64-bit.Even when I try to boot the setup with USB it just shows this "_" character. Please, help.

I really need that 64-bit system, because of some files that need to run also on Windows 64-bit or later. Thank you to everyone trying to help!

You must boot (start) your computer on the install DVD.  You cannot start install while running Windows.

Moving from 32 to 64 bit requires a "clean" install.  Meaning you must choose Custom when it asks Upgrade or Custom.

That means a complete erasure of the drive.  Refer to this discussion for a guide:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-update-in-2018/291a9582-17a7-4942-8145-8d9f68265189?tm=1535143510830

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You system currently has installed a 32-bit version of Windows so if you launch the setup.exe for a 64-bit version don't you think the message you are seeing makes sense?

If you want to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit you will not be able to do it by booting on a 32-bit version and running the setup.exe from the 64-bit installation media - that is not how things work.   You need to boot the system on the installation media like Canadian Tech says, then perform a clean/fresh install which will wipe out everything that is currently on the system.

Out of curiosity from where did you download this 64-bit ISO file for your Windows install?

If you are not sure of the source of the 64-bit installation ISO there is one on my Google drive that you can download from this link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1TZa6m_mLPclJCeR3hZGcsLE4qgPGtqM2

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As I said up to my topic when I try to boot by USB it shows me only the character __ .

But when I tried again today to boot it by usb, it worked. So , I don't really know what happened but it just booted up as always. Problem solved.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 6,365 Applies to: