Easy Transfer's Error in Shared Items

This problem is all over the place and I believe MS has yet to fix it, or even admit to it! Easy Transfer is pretty cool save for the consistent algorithm error used in determining the Shred Items. I used Easy Transfer to move users from an older W7 to a newer W7 machine. Both machines are fully updated The old machine had a TOTAL of 350 GIG of files/data on all drives including the system. In fact, as part of this process, I copied the old data onto back up drives in case something was missing and it totaled under 4 GIG of data. Well, Easy Transfer after copying the users also copies Shared Items. The total was 868 Gigs, more than double the total amount of files space occupied by the original data on the old machine! I killed it half way through after it started eating up the C Drive on the new PC.

Does anyone know what gives with those Shared items? Obviously, there is a problem because there are references all over the place (Not enough space, etc) with that but I have never read a good explanation or seen proper directions on handling the Shared Items option.

Any wisdom?

Thanks,

Pradhan

Hello Pradhan,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist you.

I would suggest you to refer to the following articles which will answer your questions.

Windows Easy Transfer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

Transferring files and settings: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/transferring-files-settings-faq#1TC=windows-7

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for replying but...

these are the same 2 articles that appear in just about every response to this question and as I pointed out in my original post, nobody ever answers the basic question: How does 400 Gigs of total data produce 868 Gigs of shared items? Can't anyone ever say "Yes, there is a problem here!" with some explanation?

Thanks again...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To be more specific now, Easy Transfer clobbered my C drive with garbage. I double-checked to see that my original C Drive from my old computer had 250 GIG of data. My new C Drive with the EXACT SAME programs and software after Easy Transfer is 790 GIG on a 1 T Drive! So again, I ask what gives with the Shared Items.

This is not a minor problem. Building a new computer takes days of installation and the intention is to have a leaner/meaner machine. Backing up my system is now 3 time longer than before. The C Drive becomes much less efficient with 790 of 1T space occupied. Can someone tell me how to clean it up after Easy Transfer's shared items fattened it up? And please, no more references to those 2 pages which is basically how-to's for the software.

Please, anyone?

Thanks,

Pradhan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Pradhan,

Thank you for the reply.

As you said that the Windows Easy Transfer takes a long time to transfer the files and you have issues with the size it occupies in the new computer.

Please follow the suggestions mentioned below to fix the issue. 

a) The rate at which the files and settings are transferred depends on a few factors:

• The amount and size of the files and settings you transfer

• The speed of your computers

• The transfer method you choose: Easy Transfer Cable, USB flash drive, external hard disk, or networking

Generally, the more you transfer, the more time it takes. The faster the computers and the faster the transfer method (for example, an Easy Transfer Cable or networking for many files, a USB flash drive for fewer files), the faster the transfer will be.

b) Also, while transferring files from one computer to other it copies. Files and folders (Everything within the  Documents, Music, Pictures, and Shared Documents folders. Using advanced options, you can select additional files and folders to transfer from other locations). So, you can edit the location from where you want to take the files for the new computer.

E‑mail settings, contacts, and messages, Program settings (Settings that keep your programs configured as you had them on your old computer, if you want you can keep these files otherwise, you can remove it). User accounts and settings, Internet settings and favorites, Pictures and video and Music.

Also, refer to the link mentioned below to perform disk cleanup and disk defragmentation for improving the disk capacity.

Delete files using Disk Cleanup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-7

Ways to improve your computer's performance

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/improve-performance-defragmenting-hard-disk#1TC=windows-7

Note: Disk Defragmenter might take from several minutes to a few hours to finish, depending on the size and degree of fragmentation of your hard disk. You can still use your computer during the defragmentation process.

Hope this helps. Otherwise, feel free to write us back and we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It IS NOW VERY OBVIOUS that there is no one who actually reads these questions. The fact that Ms. Shalini Kumar replied to one of my replies with EXACTLY the same reply proves that these are being read by some computer somewhere with pat answers based on some artificial intelligence somewhere. None of the responses addresses my very specific question: How does 400GIG of data produce 800GIG of shared items? Simple question. I never asked about the rate of transfer.

So thanks but no thanks to Microsofts fake human beings. I really don't think they exist.

Pradhan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's very clear here that the MS folks don't know or don't care. The 2nd reply is the kind of gobblty-gook I'd expect from anyone who just vomits words without ever reading or understanding the question.

The answer is.....

The shared items is so huge because if you look at the customize option, you'll see that the "Easily stupid Transfer" program is including the entirety of every other hard drive on your system, including the one you're transfering to. This is an inanely stupid, simple bug that clearly shows that MS doesn't care. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. I did look at the customization and didn't note that. Easy Transfer DID work for the purpose of re-creating the users, I'll give it that...

But here in the forum, I suspect these letters are not actually read at all by humans...and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense. I suspect it is totally some sort of AI. The support engineer "Shalini" replied twice with EXACTLY THE SAME reply! I now see that her second reply has been removed!

Thanks for the insight tho on Easy Transfer. There are a number of EZ Transfer alternatives out there. Should I have to do this again (I hope not), I'll use those!

Pradhan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 13, 2020 Views 1,217 Applies to: