Question

Q: Windows Update Upgrade to Windows 10 is the only option This thread is locked from future replies

I ran Windows Update on 10/09/2015.   The only option I was given was a button with  the text: Upgrade to Windows 10.  This is a new tact by Microsoft to push Windows 10 because I have never gotten the Windows 10 upgrade option in this format.     I have not subscribed to Windows 10.  I do NOT want to go to Windows 10 at this time.  I just want to see what fixes are available for Windows 7.  How can I avoid this download option in future runs of Windows Update?  How can I "hide" Windows 10?   I have seen the recommendations to set Windows Update to the dreaded "Never Run" option and then change the option once a month on Patch Tuesday.   If I do this will I be able to hide Windows 10?    

Foot note to explain context:

My reluctance to go to Windows 10 is that I have been on Windows 10 and I "lost" my PC.   The problem  was frequent and ever extending recoveries.  I had to erase my HD and reinstall Windows 7.   My PC security provider is also having problems with Window 10.   My PC is an HP Pavilion with an I3-2100 processor.     

SOLUTION

First,  go to Windows Update, Change Settings and  follow the advice  "Take Windows Update off automatic -- Never check."   Select "Never check for updates". 

Second, run "Check for updates".   The search for updates ends with the dreaded "Upgrade to Windows 10" message in the same box with the "Get started" button, DON'T TOUCH THAT BUTTON!

Third, go to the fine, blue print underneath the Windows Update box, the fine, blue print that reads "Show all available updates",  put the cursor over the print which, doing so, switches the print to a link.    Clicked on "Show all available updates" and get a screen titled "Select the updates you want to install."   On the left side of the screen there are tabs in bold letters.   Click on the Optional tab.   Then, with the greatest of joy, remove the check, ( uncheck ), from the box next to the text: Upgrade to Window 10.   

Fourth,  repeat the process in the previous step to select (check) the software that you WANT to install.   Review your selections to make sure that Windows 10 is absent.   Then press the OK button. 

Answer

A:

I have advised my clients to do what I have dreaded doing for years -- turn off Automatic Windows Update. 

The problem is compounded by an incessant drive by Microsoft to install Windows 10 on your computer without your permission.  They keep re-installing KB3035583 (that is the enabler) on your computer, even if you uninstall it.  The result is the huge download and then constant nags without an apparent way to say no.

So I have advised my clients to shut down WU.  Once a month on the 2nd Tuesday, they will get an email from me advising to manually start WU and then to reject specific updates like KB3035583.  Then update.  WU remains on NEVER.

Some may scoff at this idea.  Well they are incorrect.  Never means you are never giving Microsoft a chance to decide what you download and install.  It does NOT mean you will never update.  The difference is that now you take on the responsibility of updating.

Some may believe that Microsoft would not do such a stupid thing.  You must read Woody Leonhard (one of the most respected writers in the trade)  http://www.infoworld.com/article/2983777/microsoft-windows/how-to-clean-the-windows-10-crapware-off-your-windows-7-or-81-pc.html?nsdr=true Woody calls the Windows 10 download “crapware.”

If you see the Windows flag on the bottom right of your screen, chances are pretty high, your computer already has the Win10 file. Even if you do not, it may be on your computer by now anyway.  Here are instructions on how to rid yourself of it:

If you are using windows 7, and have not installed win10 and do not want it, here is a procedure that I have used many times and it works. 

1. Take Windows Update off automatic -- Never check

2. Task Manager, processes, find and end GWX.exe

3. Windows Update, Installed updates, WAIT a long time till you see the green bar complete its long trip to the right

4. Now, search for KB3035583, uninstall it

5. If there are others you want to uninstall, click Later

6. Then, clear the search box and after a brief wait, enter another KB number.

7. Restart the PC

8. Disk cleanup, do the 2nd step for System -- this takes a while

9. You should find a Temporary Installation file there that is anywhere from 4 to 8 Gigabytes.  It is the Win10 downloaded file. Put a check mark on that item.

10. OK, Delete Files

11. Restart

12. The startup will take a long time while it finishes cleanup

Alternatively, you will find a solution in a Woody Leonhard article:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2979572/microsoft-windows/gwx-stopper-an-easy-way-to-permanently-delete-get-windows-10-nagware-in-windows-7-and-81.html

If you choose “check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them”, Microsoft will download an "important" update KB3035583 to your computer.  It will be pre-checked -- selected.  Unless you check WU and discover this BEFORE you shut down, it will install it during the shut-down process.   Hiding accomplishes nothing.

I had the setting you chose on a computer on my desk and with my very own eyes watched this process take place.

If you are going to take control of your computer and prevent Microsoft from downloading and installing their malware, you have to lock them out altogether. 

I am advising my clients that they will take full control and responsibility for WU from now on.  I will advise them each month on the 2nd Tuesday to start WU, uncheck specific updates and complete the update.  Of course for now KB3035583 and KB2952664 are on that list.

You will find a constantly updated list of updates to reject at Ask Woody (Woody Leonhard) http://www.askwoody.com/category/microsoft-windows-patches-security/

This is more than annoying.  It goes way beyond that.  It is underhanded, dishonest and just plain wrong for them to do this.  There is no offer to accept or refuse.  There is no informed consent.  There is not even an idea of what it is your getting and what the result is if you change your mind.

This will happen to your computer whether you asked for it or not!

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2983777/microsoft-windows/how-to-clean-the-windows-10-crapware-off-your-windows-7-or-81-pc.html?nsdr=true

Once you have it downloaded to your computer, it will nag you very frequently and not offer you an option to stop it or reject it.  It will not even allow you to update Windows 7 any longer.   

If you read much here at this web site, you will find hundreds of people who let it happen, did not like it, and tried to return to Win7 and end up with a computer that was unusable.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 1053 Last updated: December 29, 2017 Applies to: