Windows Error Code 8024402F Windows Update encountered an unknown error
original title: Windows Update still giving error Code 8024402F Windows Update encountered an unknown error even after fresh install (Win7 Professional x32 and x64)
I recently installed Windows 7 (fresh install). Prior to that, I was using Windows Vista and everything was working OK.
I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro x32 bit (using the download version), installed various softwares and everytime I tried updating through Windows update, I get the error Windows could not seach for new updates: An error occured while checking for new updates for your computer. Error(s) found: Code 8024402F Windows Update encountered an unknown error.
I clicked on "Get help with this error" and used the "Windows Update troubleshooter" but it could not find the error.
A week later, the problem still persisted and decided to redownload the entire windows 7 but this time downloading the ISO version and installing the x64 one. As soon as it completed installing (no other software installed even antiviruses), I immediately tried running Windows Update. I got the same error message. Tried doing the "Windows Update troubleshooter" to no avail.
This might also be related. In both installations, I also tried to set up Windows Media Center. When it tried to install PlayReady, it gave me the error: An error encountered while downloading the installation package (Error code: 0x80240022). When I ignore that, the next phase (downloading TV setup data) stops with a one tiny dot in the progress bar-- even after half an hour.
Again, I used to use Windows Vista and it updated fine without any issues. In my Windows 7 installation, I am able to connect to the network, surf the internet, download files, and use various software (e.g., Yahoo Messenger, Skype, Kaspersky Antivirus which updates fine).
Hope you can help.
Thank you for your information.
Actually I was about to advise of a work around that worked for me, all that was necessary was to turn off the Windows Firewall.
Of course this is not a final solution as it is obviously not a good idea to turn off the firewall while downloading, also after I turn it back on I assume Automatic Updates will again be blocked. A message to the effect that Automatic Updates were being blocked was what first drew my attention to the problem.
I would suggest that someone on this forum who is in contact with the appropriate Microsoft group should pass on this information for a correction to be organised. Now that I can download Updates I should be able to install it. :-)
click on your time and date (bottom right) then a windows should pop up, click on the link 'change date and time settings'. on the date and time window click on the internet time tab, click on Change settings button, then click on the 'update now' button, then click ok and exit the windows and now try your update.
it should work as it did for me