Windows 7 Error Recovery on Start up

I have a message stating "Windows failed to star. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." I have tried both optinos

1) Launch startup repair (recommend)

2) Start windows normally

Choosing the first option it loads the Windows file is loading  and then gets 3 bars into the Windows & load screen then goes blank.  I have let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes in order to allow it to run it's disnostic, but all that comes on the screen is the mous cursor and nothing more.

Choosing the second option, I get microsoft start up logo it runs and then a blank screen with a mouse cursor as well, but will not go past this point.

I attempted the F8 command to attempt to pick a boot another way, but it does not allow.

Lastly, under the indicator lights on my lap top the processing indicator does not light up post the windows screen, thus my assumption is it will not configure in either option. The only indicator light that is present is the moon or sleep light.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Question Info

Last updated June 24, 2019 Views 106,903 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Cber113,

Since you have already tried to use startup repair and it was unable to fix the issue, even the F8 key did not help you to get the boot options, you may try to perform a system restore to the date the computer was working fine.

If you have Windows 7 disk you may try to perform a system restore and startup repair using Windows 7 disk:

1. Insert the installation disc.

2. Restart your computer.

3. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

Note: If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.

4. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

5. Click Repair your computer.

6. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

7. On the System Recovery Options menu, click System restore and select the date when the computer was working fine.

If System Recovery Options is a preinstalled recovery option on your computer:

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

Click the Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.

2. Do one of the following:

• If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

• If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.

3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press ENTER. (If Repair your computer is not listed as an option, then your computer does not include System Recovery Option as a preinstalled recovery option.)

4. Select a keyboard layout, and then click next.

5. Select a user name and enter the password, and then click OK.

6. On the System Recovery Options menu, click system restore and restore the computer to the date it was working fine.

The computer restarts, and the system files and settings are returned to the state that they were in at the time that the restore point was created.

Access the link below to find more information about system restore.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-is-System-Restore

Hope this helps. Let us know the result.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R

Microsoft Support.

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.