Windows 7 Error 0x80070005

I've been struggling for several days trying to the Windows Update to run on a Windows 7 64 bit PC.

I've downloaded WindowsUpdate.diagcab and it showed the Error 0x80070005.

In response to one of the MS support posts I've downloaded subinacl .exe and run:

subinacl /subkeyreg "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing" /grant="nt service\trustedinstaller"=f

The result I'm getting is:

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing : delete Perm. ACE 1 nt service\trustedinstaller
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing : delete Perm. ACE 0 nt service\trustedinstaller
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing : new ace for nt service\trustedinstaller
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing - RegSetKeySecurity Error : 5 Access is denied.

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Version : delete Perm. ACE 1 nt service\trustedinstaller
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Version : delete Perm. ACE 0 nt service\trustedinstaller
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Version : new ace for nt service\trustedinstaller
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Version - RegSetKeySecurity Error : 5 Access is denied.

NOTE: As suggested in another post, I previously tried downloading accesschk.exe and running (as administrator) :

accesschk.exe -s -n "nt service\trustedinstaller" -k "hklm\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing" >accesskchk.txt

but the popup window stated: 

Reports effective permissions for securable objects has stopped working.

and the accesschk.txt file was empty.

Can you help me resolve this?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Is this a sudden, new problem or...?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi PA Bear,

According to my Windows Update screen accessed via the control panel, the last successful update was May 22, 2017.

Yesterday I tried Checking for Updates and got this error.

-TR

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

According to my Windows Update screen accessed via the control panel, the last successful update was May 22, 2017.

Yesterday I tried Checking for Updates and got this error.

Assuming Win7 64-bit with Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) installed...

We'll need to do a little "digging" here. Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting my post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Who manufactured the computer (e.g., Toshiba; HP; Dell; Lenovo)?

1c. Have you ever done a Repair Install and/or a clean install of Windows 7?

1d. Has Win10 ever been installed on the system?

2. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed? What third-party firewall (if any)?

3. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

4. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool?

5a. Is KB4019264 and/or KB4014504 [or possibly KB3210131] listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

5b. Is Windows Update (automatic updating) enabled (turned on) or disabled (turned off) and if the latter, how long has it been disabled?

6. Assuming Java is still installed for some reason => Is Java Version 8 Update 144 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp [2]

7. Is Adobe Flash Player v27.0.130 installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/  

8a. When (exact date) was Internet Explorer 11 installed according to Installed Updates?

8b. What Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g., Update Version: 11.0.99 (KB1231231) ?

9. Is Firefox version 55.0.3 (or higher) and/or Google Chrome version 61.0.3163.91 (or higher) or any other alternate browser installed?

10. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Total System Care; Glary Utilities; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG Quick CleanAVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; Norton PC Tuneup; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; FixMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner component)?

==============================================
[1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)
[2] No need to install Java if it's not already installed!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pa Bear,

1a. Don't remember; maybe 5-7 years ago.
1b. Dell Inspiron N5010
1c. No
1d. No
2. Trend Micro MaximumSecurity; expires on 4/8/2018
3. I don't think so. But, a search for "mcafee" found mcinst.exe in the folder:
     C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\McAfee\Installer
but no other files in that folder.
4. I don't think so.
5a. KB4014504 installed on 5/20/2017 (along with ~ 220 other updates showing installed on the same day; yes, that's 220)
5b. Set to "Check for updates but let me choose…"; don't remember if I ever changed this.
6. Version 8 Update 101
   (It appears you are suggesting that I uninstall Java or update it; I'm trying not to jump ahead of you, so please advise)
7. Adobe Flash Player 27 ActiveX, Version 27.0.0.130 installed on 9/12/2017.
PS. Link didn't help me figure out current version; I used Programs and Features from Control Panel
8a. 7/4/2015
8b. IE11, Version: 11.0.9600.18665
Update Versions: 11.0.42 (KB4018271)
9. Chrome was Version 61.0.3163.79 (Official Build) (64-bit), but when I checked it, it automatically updated itself; now it is Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
10. No

Note: just tried Windows Update again (since Chrome upgraded itself) and now got Error Code 80072EE2.

I appreciate your time and assistance!!

-TR

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Chances are (99.99%) your Dell computer came with a McAfee free-trial preinstalled. Doesn't matter if you never used it.

Fact: McAfee (and Norton) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. The "leftovers" may be your troublemaker here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KB4014504 installed on 5/20/2017 (along with ~ 220 other updates showing installed on the same day; yes, that's 220)

Oh, my!

1. What, if any, changes did you make to the computer on or shortly before 20 May 2017?

2. Open Installed Updates, not Update History, and allow a minute or so for the window to fully load. Are most, if not all, of those ~220 updates installed on 20 May 2017 listed in the Microsoft .NET Framework sections at the top of the list of updates and if so, how many (if any) of the updates installed on 20 May 2017 are listed in the Microsoft Windows section at the bottom of the list?

3. Is KB4019264 and/or KB4018271 listed in the Microsoft Windows section of Installed Updates (not Update History) and if so, when (exact date) was the update installed?

• TIP: You can use the Search box in upper-right to search for KB numbers (i.e., KB123456 but not 123456).

4. In Windows Explorer [WinKey+E], navigate to & right-click on:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro <=this folder

Select PROPERTIES: What's the CREATED date displayed on the resulting GENERAL tab?

5. What third-party anti-virus application or security suite was installed before you installed Trend Micro Maximum Security, was your subscription (if any) still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed Trend Micro Maximum Security?

6a. Open Internet Explorer - not Chrome! - to this page => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

6b. What Flash Player version is displayed in the little VERSION INFORMATION box on that page?

7. Any particular reason Java is still installed? If not, "pitch it" now! See https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/uninstaller_toolfaq.xml

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pa Bear,

1. I purchased a second subscription to Trend Micro in Feb (better price than the renewal price) and then just as the old one expired, I turned on the new subscription. That might have been in April (the months run together sometimes).

2. Installed updates are grouped as follows:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (only 1; its on 9/5/2017)

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 (only 2, both on 5/21/2017)

Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In (only 1, its on 5/20/2017)

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 (45 total: 4 on 5/19/2017 and 41 on 5/20/2017)

Microsoft Silverlight 5.1.50907.0 (only 1, its on 7/12/2017)

Microsoft Windows (222 total: 1 on 2/15/2011, 14 on 7/4/2015, 4 on 5/18/2017, 181 on on 5/20/2017, 21 on 5/21/2017 and 1 on 9/19/2017=KB3125574)

3. No

4. April 05, 2013

5. I don't remember using any ant-virus applications before I started using Trend Micro.

6a. Whether I type it in IE manually or use the link you provided, it redirects to page: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/

6b. I don't see a little "VERSION INFORMATION" box on the page. Rather, this page lists the most recent version available for the different operating system platforms. It shows 27.0.0.130 as the "Player Version" for each Browser available on each type of platform (Windows, Macintosh OS X, Linux and ChromeOS).

7. I don't remember why it is installed. I have uninstalled the out-of-date version and there are no Java versions installed now.  (I can always install the newest version if needed in the future.)

Note: just tried Windows Update again (after uninstalling Java) and still got Error Code 80072EE2.

What's next?

-TR

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

[Ignore the Flash Player question - Adobe's got problems with that page again.]

1. Had your previous Trend Micro subscription already expired by the time you "turned on the new subscription?"

2. What are the KB numbers of the four (4) Microsoft Windows updates which were installed on 18 May 2017 (only)?

3. On Tuesday, 19 September 2017, did you download/install KB3125574 [1] manually via the Download Center or the Microsoft Update Catalog or was it offered & installed via Windows Update (automatic updating)? [I assume the former.]

4. How does the computer typically connect to the internet (e.g., ADSL/cable broadband with or without a wireless router; dial-up; Wi-MAXX; mobile wireless)?

====================================================

[1] KB3125574 dates from 16 May 2016 - which, since it successfully installed, very strongly suggests that you've been having Windows Update problems for several years, not just recently. PS: The 80072EE2 error at least suggests that you may be seeing the effects of an ongoing infection of some kind.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pa Bear,

1. I don't think so. I am remembering that it was close, but not expired yet.

2. KB2852386, KB3035126, KB2943357, KB3097989

3. I did it manually.
[I haven't done much of this Windows troubleshooting before, but I've been working on a different computer (my mom's computer) and in trying to troubleshoot that by myself, I followed some posted suggestions and downloaded/installed it on her computer. Then, for some reason, I decided to install it on mine as well - so that's how it got installed).]
Note: I don't remember this computer asking about Windows updates before; at least not in a long time.

4. Wireless router

What's our next step with this problem?

PS. Regarding the other computer's problem, I will create a separate post to get help with it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Is KB3177467 and/or KB3172605 listed in Installed Updates?

• Remember, you can search for KB numbers (e.g., KB3172605 but not 3172605).

2. Have you ever reset or reinstalled the wireless router?

3. Are the two (2) computers "networked" (i.e., can you access stuff on Mom's computer from your computer and can you access stuff on your computer from Mom's computer)?

4. Is Mom's computer having update issues, too?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pa Bear,

1. Yes, both were installed on 5/21/2017.

2. Yes.

3. No. I'd like that, but never learned how to do it.
[Note: My mom keeps her computer with her and uses it where ever she is (e.g. typically at my house, my different sibling's houses or on the wireless network in the public computer room at her apt complex, since she doesn't have wireless access in her apt.]

4. Yes. See the Question I just posted for her PC: "Windows Update running for > 24 hours and not installing any updates. WindowsUpdate.diagcab now shows Error 0x80070005." (warning... it’s a bit long...).

-TR

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 5, 2021 Views 1,634 Applies to: