original title: Windows 7 Checking For Updates stuck forever - I know this is answered, but the solutions don't work for me. Please see details!
I have installed a legit Windows 7 OS on my laptop. Its not an upgrade, it was a blank hard drive. WIndows 7 installed flawlessly, picked up all my drivers. The only problem is I am having problems with Windows 7 updates. When I choose Windows 7 update, it says "Checking for updates" and stays like that - forever. Even the next day. I did heavy heavy research, found out others are having the same problem. I tried all the fixes I could find, which are listed below:
1. No Anti-virus programs installed yet - brand new Windows 7 ultimate installation
2. There is no spyware - its a brand new clean install
3. Firewall shut off
4. Temp files, cookies, history cleared
5. background intelligent transfer service set to automatic in services.msc
6. software distribution folder renamed
7. tried shutting off automatic updates and doing it manually
8. Added windowsupdate to trust zone
9. ran MicrosoftFixit50202 in normal and advanced mode
Even with my internet SHUT OFF (turned off modem) it still checks for updates and doesn't fail with "No internet connection available".
Please, please help. Anyone.