Window Updates

I have been gone for 2 months.  Returned home and find that I cannot install any window updates which are generally automatically updated, however since the computer was turned off for 2 months they were not updated.  I get this message:

Windows update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running.  You may need to restart your computer.

I have restarted the computer three times but still get the same message.

What is the next step??

Thank you.

Marge

Question Info

Last updated December 28, 2018 Views 205 Applies to:

Windows Update was working fine for me on December 2, 2017, but now on December 3, 2017 it is not working.  Error message is Windows Update Error 0x8007005 (2017-12-3-T-02-19-34P).  Tried running the Troubleshooting Tool, which displays this error as not fixed, but the detailed report shows that it is fixed.

Last message from Windows Update: "Windows update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running.  You may need to restart your computer."

Not sure what the next step should be.

Vernon

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It could be your SoftwareDistribution folder being corrupted: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/f5744a18-d4ca-4631-8324-878b9225251d/windowssoftwaredistribution-folder-cleanup-automation?forum=winserverwsus

or alternately: https://www.techsupportall.com/how-to-fix-windows-update-error/

Basically, run the command prompt as an admin, stop the windows update service, rename your current softwaredistribution folder so it will reset, then restart the windoows update service. I had to do this today and I'm not sure if it completely solved the problem but I can at least search for updates now.

Someone who knows more than I do can tell you more about re-registering .dll files and such because I'm totally out of my element when it comes to that sort of thing.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.