Win 7 - Shutdown button shows updates to be processed but no updates ever get processed on 'power off'

Running latest version of windows 7

Windows update is working correctly in the sense that any updates outstanding are processed and updated correctly.  But 3 or 4 weeks ago I noticed the Power off button displaying the exclamation symbol and when I "hovered" on the button it displayed the following message - "Installs updates and then shuts down your computer".

I shut down but no updates were processed.  I powered on again and checked manually for any updates but there were none outstanding.  I few days later a bunch of updates were processed when I was powered on (all updated successfully), but I still got the message on the power off button which indicated updates to be processed when I powered off.  When I powered off no updates were processed.  Other than an annoying message on the power off button there appears to be nothing wrong with my computer.

In an attempt to remedy the issue I ran the Windows update troubleshooter program from the Microsoft site.  It indicated that it found a problem ("service registration is missing or corrupt") and said that it was fixed.  However the Power Off button continues to indicate that updates will be processed when I power off, but shuts down quickly without any updates ever getting processed.

This isn't a big issue for me but just plain annoying.  Can anyone help

Question Info

Last updated December 9, 2018 Views 7,585 Applies to:
Answer
Windows update is behaving correctly and does install updates when they become available.  The only annoying issue is that ever time I would go to power off the system would tell me that updates would be installed when I powered off.  But there were never any updates to be processed and the system would power off after a very small delay.  So on advice of Microsoft I changed the Windows update settings to "manual" and checked every so often for updates and the issue has been "resolved".

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.