USB Mouse and Keyboard stop working after I install Windows Update KB2913431

After an automatic installation of Windows Update KB2913431 (Win 7 Enterprise), the computer seems to run fine but my mouse and keyboard stop working.  The automatic repair option after booting with F8 doesn't work.  It tells me the error is "unspecified." 

The crazy thing is that it has created a constellation of intermittent issues when I try other options to get these devices to work after the update.  The issues I have range from unpowered USB ports, to Windows recognizing and installing the drivers for USB devices but then not recognizing them (and they don't work), to random BSODs, to invalid system restore points, to random boot failures, to causing random drives to stop working properly, to random lock-ups, to ... I think you get the idea.

I think this must be a driver-related issue.  I have gone through the Device Manager and uninstalled all hidden devices.  I have updated the drivers for everything that has an available update.  I have tried disabling all but the Microsoft services on startup and in the "services" list.  I still have been unsuccessful; however, when I can get it to properly restore to a point before the update (none of the automatic restore points work correctly) it seems ok.  Sometimes it will seem to work after I have applied the update, but then go haywire shortly afterward.  I'm convinced that it is not a hardware issue since the pre-update restores (when they actually go through without a failure) work just fine.

I've been through countless knowledge base articles and tried all the suggestions I've seen, other than registry cleaners because I had a bad experience with doing this a while back.  I have tried so many things that I've lost count and remembrance of some of them. 

I have reached the point of either never installing the update (an option I'd rather not use) or creating a clean Windows install on another drive (an option I'd rather not use, but am slightly more amicable to).  I've already begun backing up files to prepare for a clean install, but I'm reaching out one last time before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you've got!

Edit:  I thought I might include other sytem information.

Motherboard: Gigabyte P67A-UMD
-Device drivers for onboard components:
--USB related items:
---Renesas Electronics 3.0 USB Root Hub
---Renesas Electronics 3.0 USB Host controller
---Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26
---Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D
---USB Root Hub
---Generic USB Hub
--Networking:
---Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Graphics: NVidia GeForce 460 GTX (driver v. 332.21)
Sound: NVidia High Definition Audio x 4, Realtek High Definiton Audio x 1
****There may be a conflict here: the Realtek driver address is 00000201, which is the same address as *****one of the Nvidia drivers.*****
Mouse: Logitech G3 (MX518) optical mouse - wired
Keyboard: Generic Dell USB simple wired keyboard
All other USB devices are currently unplugged

Question Info

Last updated November 8, 2018 Views 99,257 Applies to:
Answer
Thanks, but I was trying to solve this  myself at a personal level - my IT Department are not that hot.

Anyway, the problem was resolved after much googling - I took ownership and renamed a bunch usb*.sys files in the Windows\System32\drivers folder, uninstalled the usb items from the Device manager and did a scan for hardware changes.
This has fixed the problem.

130 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.