System Restore from Windows 10 to 7 Startup Failure

Hi,

I just did a System restore from Windows 10 to Windows 7.  Didn't like Windows 10. 

Went through all the required steps to revert and now getting the error message "Windows error recovery" window on startup.

There are 2 options to choose from. "Launch Startup Repair(Recommended)" and "Start Windows Normally"

I have run the start up repair however it says "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically".

I tried starting normally and brings me back to "Windows error recovery" window.

I have tried the restore point option, however it says there are no restore points. I did this prior to upgrading to Windows 10. Not sure why its not there. 

I am not sure if anyone has experienced this after trying to go back to Windows 7 from 10 within that 30 day window.

Does anyone know a fix for this without having to start from scratch?

Yvonne

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2019 Views 3,552 Applies to:
I have windows 10 free upgrade on my HP 15 stores up to 500GB of data but it came with windows 8.1 and I want windows 7 downgrade put in on my windows laptop i can work better with windows 7 then i can windows 10 or 8.1 and windows 10 takes up to much room on my recovery drive and my laptop and i need a legit windows 7 with a legit product key and for free can someone please help me and thank you

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, can't help you with that, but if you start your own thread maybe someone else can.

Sorry this didn't help.

I also want to revert back but after reading your post I'm afraid to try it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I called Microsoft. After doing some simple trouble shooting with support (which I had already done), there response was...

To bad so sad. You should have read the system requirements and had a back up of all your stuff.

My computer met all the requirements, even exceeded them. They said there is nothing they can do to help and to contact my computer manufacturer. They said they can help me put Windows back on my computer by sending me a link to which I follow the instructions, if I purchased the Windows 7 software from a retailer. To which I replied "Then I guess Windows 10 really isn't free is it!"

Called my manufacturer. My computer isn't under warranty anymore. They referred me to there 3rd party company. They said by the sounds of the issues I am having and that I can't access my F8 menu(Can only access my F2) they are going to have to do a "clean software install" (ok I can't do that myself) which means that none of my previous applications will be on my computer including my Micrcosoft Office which would be gone baby gone and I had it for free when I purchased my computer as it came installed and was a promo at the time. Not happy at all.

Long story short of everything else that happened. I paid $119.00US as I think they are going to have to reinstall Windows and I can't do that myself. The $119 includes 5 incidents for 1 year for any device in the house, this was considered one of them.

Thing is, all he did was have me do a factory restore. Which I knew how to do already(Could of saved myself $120) but didn't want to try with hope my stuff could still be saved. It worked and brought my computer back to when I first purchased it. So I lost all of my stuff.  I had backed up computer a few months ago, hopefully all of it. So I lost the last 3 months worth of stuff I did on the computer. Still have my Office though so that is the one bonus. Of course I had to pay before I got to talk to a tech, I knew more then him. grrrr.

The kicker is too, that I created a restore point before I did the upgrade in case something like this happened. This was an option in the recovery menu but it said that there were no recovery points.

So if you decide to go back to Window 7 please make sure to back up all your stuff and keep your fingers crossed that your computer will go back effortlessly. If not and this happens to you, then just do a factory restore(the factory restore and save your data option didn't work which I tried prior to tech) and save yourself the money. It's an option in the restore menu and there would be no harm in trying it seeing how it's the free version and if it doesn't work then you will end up having to do a clean install anyway.

Windows 10 you are not as good as Windows 7.

Microsoft I have heard so many people with the issues just like mine.

Computer repair stores are thanking you for all the business they are getting from your mess ups with this magical restore back button that doesn't work.

Windows 10 is not meant to be reverted people. They want you to upgrade and keep it there and are punishing those who try to go back. That's my thought.

Free Windows 10 upgrade=$120 for me

Good luck everyone!

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had almost exact issues except that I did check for compatibilty and the Microsoft Free Update kept telling me my Windows 7 Pro system was compatible. After the upgrade I begin to all kinds of (light) Blue Screen Errors, exception handling errors, etc, etc, and my system would shut down and not restart but the power button will flash amber (orange).

Like you, my very expensive Dell XPS8300 which I purchased 7/2011 went out of warranty on 7/2015. Dell thinks the problem is a motherboard but won't do anything because they say the machine is "end of life" and they (Dell) don't make parts for it anymore. They (Dell) suggested I take it to a 3rd party like Best Buy, etc. I personally don't think it is a motherboard or memory issue because I was not having any issues before I upgraded to Windows 10.

Can you believe it! After 4 years my very expensive desktop, with 32GB RAM, 2TBHD, DVD-RW & BLUE RAY-DVD not mention other high end components is "end of life" after 4 YEARS! 4 YEARS!

Before I spend $$ on expensive diagnosis by 3rd party vendor I am going to try to return to Windows 7 Pro. According the Windows 10 documentation I can return to 7 if done within 30 days. I already tried to do from startup prompt (F12) but when it would not accept "disk 2" of the restore set. I am going to try it from inside Windows 10. That is if I can ever get it to boot again.

Thanks for letting me vent on your post.

"It is not doing the thing we like to do, but liking the thing we have to do, that makes life blessed."
---Goethe

Sorry this didn't help.

windows 10 sucks, big time. so ,so, so sorry upgraded from 7

looks like i'm stuck with it

no wonder it is being offered for free!

Sorry this didn't help.

i';ve been 2 hrs on comp trying to get back to windows 7 still no luck hit a block every time. w-10 sucks

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 10 is really good but you need to work with it to make it better then both 8.1 & 7 give your self some time to learn 10.  you will be glad as time goes on cause they don't plan to make another Windows in the future.

Sorry this didn't help.

On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 21:08:37 +0000, LarryJohnson3982 wrote:

Windows 10 is really good but you need to work with it to make it better then both 8.1 & 7 give your self some time to learn 10. 

Well put!

you will be glad as time goes on cause they don't plan to make another Windows in the future.

I can't imagine that. I'm sure they will. The only question is whether
they will give it a different name.

Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP since October 2003

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problems.  My computer now has Windows 10 AND some apps from Window 7.  I want my Window 7.  With W10, I can't even write a letter./

Sorry this didn't help.