Queries about "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" optional update

Recently I asked a question about whether it's safe for me to install an optional update (from a Windows Update notice), that was for "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller". (I have Windows 7, HP laptop, wired, ethernet cable with DSL.)  I got 2 replies to my question:  one said yes install it, the other said no don't do it, in fact turn off Windows updates.  So now I'm wondering if there's a knowledgeable person who can break that tie.  

Also, I saw a post in this Community from Aug. 2015 about a Windows 10 user experiencing VERY SLOW upload speed and he found it's related to Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.  Saw another user (Windows 7) commenting about similar problems, but that post seemed to be 2012.

Is it SAFE for me to install it?

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft community.

I appreciate you for providing details about your query.

Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience. They may contain some bug fixes.

Yes, you may install optional updates. Optional updates can include updates, drivers, or new software from Microsoft to enhance your computing experience. You can only install these manually.

However, if any such update causes some issue like a driver update, you may visit the driver manufacturer's website for latest driver update.

For more information, please refer this article:
Updates: frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/updates-faq#1TC=windows-7

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I will never accept and hardware device driver update offered by Windows Update (Microsoft).

Microsoft is not in the hardware business and does not know what the best drivers are for your system.

You should only get hardware driver updates from the manufacture of the hardware since they know what drivers are best for their stuff and will have the latest versions - not likely with Microsoft.

Since MS updates generally come out the second Tuesday of every month (Patch Tuesday) that sometimes (frequently) means a rash of problems the second Wednesday of every month and many of those are because folks blindly accept and install all MS updates without looking at them.   Get ready since tomorrow is Patch Tuesday!

Suddenly their system won't boot or their video is messed up or they have no sound or they can't get on the Internet anymore...  I wonder why that is?   It's because they accepted those hardware drivers from MS.  Then everybody wants to sue Microsoft, blah, blah, blah...

If you can determine the versions of driver you have now from Device Manager, look at the version offered by MS and what is on the Realtek site and you can decide which you think is best.

The sort of good part is if you install a new HW driver and you have a system problem or malfunction (assuming your system boots afterwards) you can use Roll Back Driver in device manager to undo it as in this example of a video driver:

If your system will not boot and gives you a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) after a driver update, from the F8 Advanced Boot Options Menu choose Last Known Good Configuration (that's what it's there for):

Then uninstall or Roll Back the afflicted driver and go to the manufacturer WWW site and get the latest from there.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 12, 2020 Views 310 Applies to: