I am using Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1. Windows Update had been working very well until the Windows Update Agent was automatically updated to 7.6.7600.320 sometime in August 2014. Now when Windows Update attempts to search for updates, it reports that "Windows could not search for updates" and indicates that error code 80246002 was received.
[UPDATE] Since posting this query, I think that I have resolved my problem by following the instructions described on the page "System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64 based Systems (KB947821) [May 2014]". I downloaded the file (Windows6.1-KB947821-v33-x64.msu) and then let it install itself. It describes itself as "Hotfix for Windows (KB947821)". The installation took a long time, with much disk activity. When it finally finished, I rebooted my machine, and attempted a Windows Update. It appeared to work properly; it even found an important update which I then installed successfully. So apparently for my problem the Hotfix for Windows (KB947821) provided the solution.
[UPDATE 2] After seeing the posts about changing the DNS to solve the problem, I thought I would add the following information in case it is relevant:
- I am using the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer 11, and confirmed that it is operating in 64-bit mode by inspecting the browser's user agent. You can review your browser's user agent by visiting the site http://user-agent.me/
- My Internet protocol properties are set to "Obtain DNS server address automatically". This works with my wireless router, and I have never been tempted to change it.
[UPDATE 3] After thinking that I was safe, having done multiple successful searches for updates, the 80246002 problem returned on my machine! I rebooted my wireless router and my machine but it did not help. So, I went ahead and tried the DNS trick: I changed the preferred DNS server to 18.104.22.168 and the alternate DNS server to 22.214.171.124, and then rebooted. Now Windows Update search is successful! I am humbled, and grateful!