Microsoft Screwed up my Computer with their new Windows 10 software update

After literally 3 calls to Microsoft tech support and 4 chats and 5 callbacks from Microsoft Tier 1 AND Tier 2, no one is yet able to help me with this problem!

They wanted to download yet AGAIN the Windows 10 latest edition on my working computer just so I could install it on the affected computer and ...Yes, again screw it up! Duh, go figure. I found out that they wanted to do the Windows 10 latest version again and they started downloading it on my working computer  and that download even on high speed internet started at 6.59 hours to complete. After an hour on the phone with tech support, the download was at 4:34 hours and they said we will disconnect now and when it finishes you can call us back. That was 2 hours into my call with Microsoft at 11:58 pm! I WAS NOT going to sit around until 5 am the next morning waiting for another stupid download.  I broke out of the download as soon as the call ended.

I have been promised 3 call backs from Microsoft Tech support at 7 am that didn't happen until I chatted again and set up another case. I told them about the first time and they said they called me and there was no answer. Yet for some strange reason, my phone shows no missed calls.

They set up another call for within the hour. THAT call never even happened.

I chatted again and set up an entirely new case and they said I would get a call back. That one happened about an hour later but took 2 hours just for them to tell me they couldn't figure it out and had to get Tier 2 on the case and have them fix it. Tier 2 called me back and they said go to the Microsoft store!!!

HAHAHA I said. After 10 hours that is your reply?! Hand it off to someone else? The nearest Microsoft store is 45 miles away from me! This should be able to be fixed on the phone considering they remote controlled my computer 5 times and still had no clue.

They told me themselves that their programming department that came out with this latest Windows 10 update is screwing up many MANY computers and for the past 6 months or more the tech support people are being bombarded with calls for people trying to get their computers fixed.

My computer is one of them!

I finally gave up on trying to get help from Microsoft and I found the original recovery disks for my Toshiba laptop.

I installed the IOS myself, but now I am still stuck with Windows 7.

I need to know how to upgrade to the Windows 10 - the version BEFORE the latest one that started this hellish nightmare!

Can anyone help? No offense Microsoft, but anyone OTHER than Microsoft?

Thank you

First - it'll likely do you no good to install the previous version as it will eventually upgrade to the latest version.

Second - hopefully *if nothing else* - you will have a full third party system image (full backup) at the ready for anything else that might ever happen?

Last - thinking you mean the "Creators Update" (1703) - here's a direct Microsoft link to the 64-bit English ISO for such good for the next 24 hours...
https://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win10_1703_English_x64.iso?t=21ef1276-0a80-47c7-9d76-054260785db4&e=1522540440&h=f56bde0d8d2d57367fa54e25ce5fe8a2

You should be able to clean install that and activate it - or maybe upgrade (although I don't know if that is worth it) using the ISO/USB stick you might make from the ISO.  (Keep the ISO somewhere offline.)

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Is this version the latest one? I think this is the one that they told me was NOT compatible with my computer. They said something about version 16XX something or other. That is the one that DID work and then they tried to upgrade my computer to the newest one which I believe is this 1709 and that is the one that crashed my system. I surely don't want to do that again. :-)

Can you clarify please?

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You need to be clear on what you need.  :-)

1607 - Anniversary Update (released 8/2/2016)

1703 - Creators Update (released 4/11/2017)

1709 - Fall Creators Update (released 10/17/2017)

What is the make & model of the computer in question (like Dell ______ or HP ____, etc.)?  In particular, what is the processor & chipset?

Could help figure out the real issue.

.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@LemP:

Why don't you ask for Dell Service Tag and/or HP Serial Numbers and you can get right to all the HW details that folks might not know about processor and chipset?

Save some message cycles...  or the "I don't know", "How can I tell" replies.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

... who?

Also, given all they have done already, it is unlikely they will not be able to provide this info.

.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My windows 7 was upgraded free by Microsoft.  The wndow afterwards collapsed.  Again windows 10 was installed and uograded and uodated.  now they are asking for a different prouct key.  wherefrom can I get it.  I have no other key with other than what Microsoft has given to me.  Kindly help.Ramakrishnan(*** Email address is removed for privacy ***)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You either have a digital license (thus need no product key) for the machine in question or you do not.

No one here, in this peer-to-peer volunteer-based public international forum, will give you a legitimate product key.  Nor, if you have the same hardware (motherboard especially) should you ever need one.

.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The product key is on the bottom of the laptop. It is a hologram legitimate product key. I guess I just have to wait until Microsoft's update system realizes that my Windows is not updated and it will start pushing out the updates.

I haven't been able to get Internet explorer to update either yet. I guess I might not have SP1 installed yet but that too may just be another one of Windows updates that come as they come. 

I remember way back when that there would be a whole crap load of updates all at once  hehe

I'm really surprised that Windows doesn't recognize Arizona time zone as being valid. I set Arizona - which is by the way where I live, and My internet would not work at all! I finally changed it to Pacific time and it works fine except for the Microsoft website. It won't load Microsoft at all but it does load everyone else.

It's running IE8, which I guess Windows 7 came with.

This is getting very interesting

My own work took me about 2 hours. Microsoft tech 1 and tech 2 took over 14 and they still didn't get it up and running!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2022 Views 303 Applies to: