Keyboard not functioning in Startup Repair or Install Windows screens

Hi there, I had fairly recently built myself a new pc, and bought a copy of Windows 7 on the student offer they ran. I had it all up and running for ages now, installed games, played them, whatever, fully functional.

Recently I wanted to install the software for my freeview tv capture card, and didn't know exactly which model it was, as it was on the bottom pci slot on the motherboard, I had to take it to out to look at the sticker on the underside. I powered the machine off, took the card out, checked it, put the card back in, and attempted to boot back up.

To no avail, it drops out and restarts on the fancy new swirling little blobs of colour title screen. So I launched into Startup Repair, as recommended by the computer.

Here's the issue, it pops up with a System Recovery Options dialogue, with a keyboard input method dropdown, which I can't access, because the mouse and keyboard don't work, they work fine up to this point, but once here, it just sits there ignoring me.

I've now tried this with both USB and PS/2 keyboards, no difference. Same story if I attempt to boot from my W7 disc, gets to another language options page, and I can't do anything.

Any ideas? Cos I'm pretty stumped. Please help.

Matt

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2019 Views 64,717 Applies to:
Answer
Very old topic, but recently ran into same behaviour.  I was getting ready to decide the mobo was done but then I remembered my devices were plugged into usb 3.0 ports.  Win 7 Repair doesn't seem to like this (on my PC anyway).  Put both in USB 2.0 ports, all fine again

307 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.