KB4093118, PC keep restarting

Hello, I'm experiencing strange problem in our company.

I cannot install monthly rollup security update KB4093118 on computers with 32bit windows 7.

I use DELL Optipllex 780 computers and opriplex 3010 computers.

Installation always ends up with computers restarting right after boot. PC starts till 'Wait Please' message is displayed and then after few seconds it reboots.

Only help is 'Safe Mode', roll back changes, normal boot.

First I thought it's and isolated incident, but this happens the same way on all computers with 32bit windows 7. I have 7 of them.

I've already called DELL support, they cannot help me 'cause the PC's are no longer under support.

Can you plese help me, I'm kinda desperate, i do not have time to reinstall all affected comupters

regards

Peter

Question Info

Last updated December 7, 2018 Views 12,623 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Manage to update KB4103718 patch without issue after uninstall HASP Device Drivers from one of the 3 troubled workstations.

Will try the remaining 2 workstations once available.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks to everyone who posted their suggestions on here. I too was having this problem with my Dell OptiPlex 7010 Windows 7 32bit PCs for Patches: KB4093118 & KB4103718.

I tried all solutions posted here but the one that solved the issue on my PCs was the HASP driver solution.

Using the Autoruns program I was able to see that the Hasp driver V4.65.1.1 was running on startup and after disabling it the patches install correctly and no more reboots. I then decided to check out the registry entry for "Haspnt"

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Haspnt

I noticed that the key labeled "ImagePath" had the data value of "\??\C:\Windows\system32\drivers\Haspnt.sys". I then tried removing the "\??\" and the patch worked afterwards, without having to disable from startup. Not sure if anyone else has that value set but this might also help. For now I wont be updating the driver since this driver is only on about 40 PCs and most will be replaced soon.

I ran the following command/s in a script to test on a few machines to help disable to startup of the driver, rather than run Autoruns on all PCs
Disable on startup
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Haspnt /v start /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f

or to fix the ImagePath Value
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Haspnt /v ImagePath /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d C:\Windows\system32\drivers\Haspnt.sys /f

Thanks again to everyone who posted. hope that Peter can find his solution soon

5/29/18 EDIT: I will be performing the driver update. See follow up comment below for other issues I ran into with no driver update applied.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks! This solved our problem. Instead of edititing the registry we just updated the driver for the HASP key, this fixed our problem. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks this sorted my problem, I also removed \??\ from the ImagePath registry key entry and the patches installed without issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Some progress here too, though not yet solved.

Searching my registry, I have many instances of \??\ Seems odd.

One case refers to a hard disk backup program I have called "Macrium Reflect". A quick Google to [macrium reflect "windows update"] reveals the problems with Windows Update on 32 bit machines.

<<<

Bug Fixes v7.1.2963 - 17th March 2018

Windows 7/10 32 Bit BSOD when booting
A Windows Update on the 13th March has caused some Windows 7 and 10 32 bit systems to fail to load Windows after updating. The error occurs when kernel mode driver 'pssnap.sys' loads at boot time. This update removes 'pssnap.sys' from boot time configuration. Note: Simply deleting the file is insufficient to resolve the problem.
We recommend that 32 bit installations of Macrium Reflect on XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7, 32 bit operating systems update to this release.
If you have already updated Windows and experience this error then please see this KB article for a solution:
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Windows+7+32+bit+BSOD+after+MS+Windows+Update
If you have not yet updated Windows then please update to this version of Macrium Reflect to enable Windows to update without problems.
After updating, XP, Vista and Windows 7 32 bit systems, will no longer have 'pssnap.sys' available. If MS VSS shadow copies fail, then your backups will no-longer fall back to using 'pssnap'. Please ensure that any VSS errors are resolved to successfully complete your backups.

>>>

Sorry this didn't help.

We are having this reboot loop error with KB4099467 (Fix for March update SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT issue), the April and May rollups. This forum put me on the track of the HASP driver which actually is installed on all our affected systems.

Both registry fixes seem to work for us, however fixing the imagepath value works because it breaks the driver. After fixing the imagepath and restarting the HASPNT device (Hidden device) shows an exclamation mark because it can not start.

After reading this post I also found a known issue with the March security only update KB408887 which is not mentioned on any of the other Windows 7 security only or monthly rollups. This known issue looks identical to what we experience. We dit NOT deploy this update in our environment.

A 32-bit (x86) computer won’t boot or keeps restarting after applying this security update.

Before applying this security update and subsequent security updates, uninstall the following external drivers until they are fixed by the vendor that owns them:

• HASP Kernel Device Driver (a.k.a. Haspnt.sys)
  • Hard Lock Key Drivers (a.k.a. hardlock.sys)

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Interesting it looks like they might of recently added that info, I see that the page for KB408887 updated on 5/25/18.

If I'm not mistaken, I the monthly quality rollups contain the same fixes/problems for the month as the security only updates?

Anyways, going back to my previous comments about making the registry changes, I still have issues after the change.

I am able to install the patches but I found out on Friday that PCs will immediately reboot when attempting to launch an application that does rely on the hasp/hardlock driver.  We have some software that does require the USB key to launch the software. Lucky for me I only tested this change on 3 users, 2 use the USB key 1 does not. This only occurred for the 2 users with the USB key. So it looks like I will be doing the HASP driver update later today and through this week.

I tested this out on one of my test PCs and it looks like it fixes the issue, as other users have posted previously.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am able to install the patches but I found out on Friday that PCs will immediately reboot when attempting to launch an application that does rely on the hasp/hardlock driver.  We have some software that does require the USB key to launch the software.

I suppose the application starts the driver. My testing shows it is possible to succesfully install updates if you first disable the HaspNT driver. As soon as the HaspNT driver is started after updating, I did this manually,  the system always reboots immediately.

This shows that keeping the driver installed (even disabled) on an updated system is extremely dangerous.

Sorry this didn't help.

A 32-bit (x86) computer won’t boot or keeps restarting after applying this security update.

Before applying this security update and subsequent security updates, uninstall the following external drivers until they are fixed by the vendor that owns them:

• HASP Kernel Device Driver (a.k.a. Haspnt.sys)
  • Hard Lock Key Drivers (a.k.a. hardlock.sys)

Microsoft just confirmed to me that the issues with the March, April and May rollups are indeed the same as the known issue mentioned for the March security only update KB408887 . The important detail seems to be the word "subsequent" in the known issue's description.

All we can do now is remove the drivers until the vendor delivers an update.

Sorry this didn't help.

Eureka - at least mostly.

Macrium Reflect (hard disk backup program) updated to latest version. April and May Updates now installed. I should have guessed a program like this would be a suspect.

The Malic Software Rem Tool, KB890830 for May shows as failed, but seems to be there and working.

I tried a manual download from MSFT, and install via Win Explorer. No difference.

Any ideas on this? Anything to worry about? Likely to fix itself at next offering?

Sorry this didn't help.