KB3185330 Failed to Update w/Error Code 80004005

I've been trying all kinds of fixes through this site and Mr. Google, but I can't get this to install. After a restart, it seems to get up to 71% and stay there for a long time. Then when it finally advances up to 100%, it fails and reverts back.

How can I fix this? Any help will be most appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 7, 2019 Views 8,070 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Please restart your computer, allow 20 minutes for the system to run before uploading further information so that the impact of making changes can become apparent.

To troubleshoot most computer problems it helps to look at available clues in the System Information file and the Event Viewer logs. An experienced eye can pick out the needles in the haystack and see more clearly the precise nature of the problem or problems.

Please provide more information to enable your problem to be diagnosed.

Please restart your computer and allow 20 minutes for the system to run before uploading information. When examining Event Viewer log files many, not all, problems show in the period immediately after the computer has been booted.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. If the report is in a language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload and share with everyone a fresh copy of your System log from your Event Viewer to your One Drive and post a link here. It helps to avoid confusion if you remove any earlier copies of the log files from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Gerry,

Thank you for such excellent instructions! Here are the links to my files:

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AjPGJF1RD_Zfgtp4f5qVB6pbMTP7ow - For the System Information File

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjPGJF1RD_Zfgtp5bfBe4J5p8GhChg - For the System Log FIle

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Len

Sorry this didn't help.

Len

I suggest you run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool in normal mode (not safe mode) and copy and paste the results in a reply for further analysis:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Run the Tool and when it completes click the Copy button, open a text file like Word or Notepad and select Edit, Paste. You can paste directly into a reply here. Open a reply, right click and select Paste.

Download and run the System Update Readiness Tool -64 bit version
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

The System Update Readiness Tool creates a log file that captures any issues that the tool found or fixed. The log file is located at the following location:
•%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
•%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

The system root is normally C. If the files are not there, check C:\windows\ logs\CBS.

You may need to change your settings in Windows to be able to see the file. To show hidden files type Folder Options in the search box above the Start button and select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

Do not use Search to find the files. Open Windows Explorer (keyboard shortcut Win+E), locate and expand the file path (item 1 in the image below) Computer>Local Disk (C:)>Windows>Logs>CBS (item 2 below). Expand by clicking the arrowhead pointing right immediately before each folder in turn to see the next folder in the file path until you see the CheckSUR.log and CheckSUR.persist.log (item 3 below).

Please upload a copy of these logs to your OneDrive as shared files and post a link here.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gerry,

Here we are:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjPGJF1RD_Zfgtp7_D1AToigrnl_wA - CheckSUR.log

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjPGJF1RD_Zfgtp6H21su28SgZeVUg - CheckSurPersist.log

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AjPGJF1RD_Zfgtp8j8GNfqDWwc6eJw - lefo1959-Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Report

I hope this helps.

Len

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem on a Windows Server 2008 R2. I've tried the windows update fix it tool and tried the update again. Still fails.

Sorry this didn't help.

Add me to the list... with a twist... doing it via Windows update does not work. After a reboot at about 71% if fails and reverts. I downloaded. Ran it and it said it installed but wants to reboot. Rebooting does the same thing. Gets to 71% and fails.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here, windows 7 enterprise (64 bit) Fujitsu lifebook T580, repeatedly installs/fails/removes. Would you like/need log files from me too?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same Problem here.

Win 7 Professional (64 bit)

ASUS Desktop PC BM2AD_D10MT_D310MT Series

Sorry this didn't help.

Gerry,

I too have an update failure of KB3185330 today.  However, my PC has been failing previous Security updates KB3177186, KB3185319, and KB3175024.  I had hoped we would receive a patched update from Microsoft.  But here we are with another failed update.

Per your instructions I created the first two requested files:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiSFdEEC_XgbggnpYIKS1RDFKNGE

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AiSFdEEC_Xgbggh1n2BKa_hVH-fK

Then ran the Diagnostics Tool and Readiness Tool and it asked:

“Do you want to install the following Windows software update? Hotfix for Windows (KB947821)”  Yes, I installed the update. 

But it still fails the following:

KB3185319

KB3185330

KB3177186

I appreciate your time and feedback.

Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, the weird thing is that I went to install this again today with optional KB3192403. This update says that it failed, but does NOT show up in the list of updates available after it failed. 

Now, KB3192403 fails to install.

So, does that mean that KB3192403 is the replacement for KB3185330 and KB3185330 no longer shows up as an update?

If these are supposed to be security updates, I'm not feeling very secure.

Sorry this didn't help.