KB2952664 fails windows update with error code 80242016

October 14, 2014 Windows Updates had 15 Important/Recommended updates including KB2952664.  WU appeared to run successfully but upon reboot found that 14 updates installed successfully and KB2952664 failed with error code 80242016 (typically means that another installation is in progress - WU was the only app running).  Reviewed WU history and noted that this same KB was successfully updated on 8/15/2014.  Opened WU again and performed Check for Updates with nothing returned.  Because it was already installed, do I need to reinstall the KB since it failed today or is it nothing to worry about??  Thanks for the help.

Problem solved 10/15/2014. 

Bottom line is that a previous version of this KB is probably already installed on your Win7 machine(s) and if you want to update to the new version, you have to let it fail, then uninstall, reboot, run WU Check for Updates and reinstall the KB.  The alternative is to uninstall the last version - there should only be one - and remove the KB from the current maintenance package.  This KB update eases the upgrade process to later versions of Windows and there will likely be additional versions in the future.

Hope this helps and many thanks to all those replying on both posts.

Question Info

Last updated September 20, 2018 Views 46,982 Applies to:
Answer

I had the same problem installing updates on a Windows 7 Home Premium platform. All other updates showed as installed successfully except for KB2952664. From another post on this issue, a fix was given which I performed successfully.

Control Panel\Programs & Features\View Installed Updates (Left Column Selection), Right Click on KB2952664, select Uninstall, Close Control Panel. Go back to Windows Update and Search for updates. KB2952664 will appear, run the update in my case it then installed successfully.

70 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.