Initial Windows Update very slow

Hi,

I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit Ultimate with Service Pack 1.  The initial check for updates succeeded in updating Microsoft updates, but the initial check for updates has been running for (oh I don't know) 15 or 20 minutes....

Is this just the normal expected wait time for initial windows update?

Question Info

Last updated May 23, 2018 Views 2,055 Applies to:
Answer
Mines slow too i had to factory reset got sp1 it took all night. I past out woke up with it done now been tryung to check for updates going on more then a hour to check :s this is crazy

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Something has gone very very wrong with Windows Update.

I agree.   I did a fresh install of Win7 SP1 yesterday and left Win Update running overnight -- it was still checking for updates when I got up this morning.   I thought some of the customizations I did before starting the update might have messed things up so I decided to reinstall this morning.

I first tried the option to install using the option to use the latest version from the web -- I cancelled that after it spent an hour "collecting information" then went back to installing from the CD.   Once I had a fresh install of Win7, I  immediately started the update.   It has now been "checking for updates" for about 3 hours.

One thing I noticed is that the update history shows that the update agent (7.6.7600.320) was installed during the installation.  It seems to me that the Windows team needs to get some people working on backing out this version of the update agent so that Windows can actually update itself.

Athena

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.