How To Prevent Spontaneous Windows 10 Upgrade?

Two nights ago one of my PCs at work spontaneously upgraded itself to W10.  I had windows update set to notify when updates were available but not to download or install them.  We leave the PC on overnight in the event I must log in remotely.  The user account that was logged in is read-only and has no permissions for installation.  We turned on the monitor in the morning to a screen that welcomed us to Windows 10.

I run a proprietary management software package that is incompatible with W10.  Of course, the offending PC is the data repository for the network.  The hours that it took to manually backup the data, roll back the upgrade, and then have my IT folks rebuild the network was expensive.  We could not service our clients properly and I have incurred IT expenses for no reason.

I have searched the microsoft website for whatever settings need to be changed to prevent this from occurring again, and have found nothing.  What do I do now to ensure this nonsense won't be repeated?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Vlad

Answer
Answer

Sorry to have to disagree with my fellows, but I recommend you set Windows update to NEVER.  This is the only sure way to take complete control.  Never does not mean you should never update.  It is simply telling your system that you will decide when and have complete control over what should be downloaded and installed.

Here is the advice I provide to my clients.....

Prevent Windows 10

If you do not want Windows 10 and wish to prevent it from being installed on your computer…..

Once you have followed the procedure below, and set Windows update to NEVER, once a month, start Windows Update (WU) manually, check for updates.  When you get the list of “important” updates, right-click and choose hide on EVERY update in the Windows grouping that does not describe itself as Security.  Allow the Malicious software removal tool or any C++ updates.  Do not use ANY optional updates or place a checkmark in any unchecked updates.  Proceed to update.

Microsoft has committed to support Windows 7 until at least January 14, 2020.

A lot of people have tried Windows 10 and decided they want their Windows 7 back.  If you are one of those, once you have Windows 7 back, you will need to take steps to keep it that way.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3043656/microsoft-windows/first-aid-for-forced-windows-10-upgrades.html

Change the Windows Update Setting to Never check for updates.  Once a month, about 2 days after the 2nd Tuesday, start WU and then hide every update except for ones specifically labeled Security.  In other words, only security updates should be applied.  In all of 2015 and since, there was not a single update that  improved Windows 7 other than fixing security issues.

Some may feel uncomfortable with the setting — NEVER.  Well you needn’t be.  Never means you are never giving Microsoft a chance to decide what you download and install.  It should NOT mean you will never update.  The difference is that now you take control and the responsibility of updating of Windows and Office.

Read Woody Leonhard (one of the most respected writers in the trade)  http://www.infoworld.com/article/2983777/microsoft-windows/how-to-clean-the-windows-10-crapware-off-your-windows-7-or-81-pc.html?nsdr=true   Woody’s advice is that if you have Windows 7, keep it, you are better off by far.

First download and run GWX Control panel.  http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/  It will allow you to prevent any future operating system upgrades and delete downloaded Win10 files, but it will not remove all of Microsoft’s spyware that is already installed on your computer.

The following process will remove those features which you do not need.

1. Take Windows Update off automatic — Never check for updates
  2. Windows Update, Installed updates, WAIT a long time till you see the green bar complete its long trip to the right
  3. Now, search for each of the listed (below) updates, uninstall them.  You must wait until the list is re-created each time. You need to wait till you see the number at the bottom of the search window exceed a few hundred.
  4. You do not need to restart after each uninstall, click later, until you are done.
  5. Then, clear the search box and after the list is again displayed (the number at the bottom again exceeds several hundred), enter another KB number.
  6. Restart the PC.  It may take a long time to process this.

If you choose “check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them”, Microsoft will download “important” updates like KB3035583 to your computer.  It will be pre-checked — selected.  Unless you check Windows Update (WU) and discover this BEFORE you shut down, it will install it during the shut-down process.  

List of updates that if already installed should be removed:

KB3035583
KB2952664
KB2977759
KB3021917
KB3075249
KB3080149
KB3083710
KB3083324
KB3090045
KB3112343
KB3123862
KB3022345
KB3068708

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 22, 2021 Views 664 Applies to: