Question

How many times will KB3035583 reappear before I tell Microsoft to shove it?

Big_Bob_1998 asked on

I have a number of machines for various uses; a couple I have updated to Win10, and others will be staying with Win7, for what I consider very good reasons...they are home media center machines and they use Windows Media Center to tune a cable card tuner with networked SiliconDust tuners.  Should I upgrade to Win10, the machines will be useless for live TV unless I find other software, which I choose not to bother with since the current system works fine.

I understand the first instance of KB3035583 wanting to make people aware of the free upgrade, and didn't mind uninstalling and hiding the update on those 5 machines (note: the hardware AND operating system (Win7) was purchased SPECIFICALLY for that purpose).  The second time, when it reappeared, I was a bit annoyed that they were trying to force me to take something I didn't want and that would make the machines useless for what they were purchased for in the first place.  So I hid the updates.  Again.  And again.  And now, just this morning, again.

I'm not sure what Microsoft thinks they are going to accomplish by this...right now I'm pretty irked and would not buy a copy of ANY version of Windows, but that will probably pass unless this continues.  Having to catch the 5 machines while the update is still threatening but not done, so I don't have to waste 2-3 hours uninstalling, checking and then hiding AGAIN, has me not too pleased with the way Microsoft is handling this.

In addition, I have two older relatives, in their late 70's and mid 80's, who I have set up and maintained the Windows machines they use.  The 80-plus year old is very happy with his machine as it is; it does everything he needs, using Windows 7, and given the option of Win10, said he doesn't want to have to learn anything new, he's happy with it AS-IS, and to please keep it that way.  So now I have to run the 20 miles AGAIN, disable the update that I already uninstalled and disabled twice, just because Microsoft thinks they're going to force us to take this whether we want it or not.  I know this person well, and I know Win10 well, and it would NOT be an easy transition, despite being better than Win8 with its silly tiles that you had to disable by buying Start8.  His sister, the 70+ year old, went ahead and let her machine update (or rather it did it on its own and she let it), and she's had a desperate call in for help that I haven't been able to get to yet.  She HATES Win10, was used to Win8 with Start8, doesn't like Edge (can't much blame her, it's like an empty freight car, painted and streamlined to the point of being mostly useless), so now I have to go down there and wast most of a day modifying things and showing her how to use the new "features" that were forced on her.

I've been a big fan of Windows since 3.0, but this KB baloney has me irritated to no end, especially since they keep overriding the hiding of the unwanted update.  Anyone know of a way to permanently get rid of this albatross?  (other than switching operating systems...I'm no Apple fan, and while Linux is OK, I'm not really all that anxious to convert.  While I know this isn't a direct line to Microsoft, things have a way of getting around, so I'm posting this in hopes they see that not everyone is happy with what they're doing, and I personally am off the list for purchasing anything made by them unless they stop.  I'm not a fool, I want to make my own choices; I bought all of these copies of Windows for ME to use as I needed, not for MS to decide what I did and didn't need, and try to force their decision on me.

Short question, long rant, as you may have noticed, but I'm irked.

11 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer

http://www.canadiantech.info/for-techies/prevent-windows-10/

Prevent Windows 10

Microsoft has turned a decades-long respected process — Windows Update — into a malware distribution system.  It is for all intents and purposes forcing innocent and content Windows 7 computer users into “upgrading” to its new Windows 10 version.  It promises to allow return to Windows 7 within 30 days.  That return process is flawed and leaves your computer virtually unusable and requires re-installation of Windows 7.  For some owners without a re-usable Microsoft product key or a factory restore partition on their computers, it results in a useless thing that used to be a computer.

Windows 10 is a completely new and very different Windows.  Nothing like anything you have used before.

1. It is primarily an advertising/sales vehicle.
  2. By adopting Windows 10, you sacrifice any privacy — essentially, anything on your computer is Microsoft’s and its partner’s to use as they see fit.
  3. Windows Update becomes non-optional.  You, as owner of your system no longer have control over what happens to your computer.  Microsoft will re-make Windows (on your computer) into what serves its purposes without asking your permission or opinion.
  4. Windows 10 as a system is still full of un-fulfilled promises and bugs.  Many of your programs will not run on Windows 10.  In fact, the “upgrade” process removes some.

So, if you like Windows 7, and most do very much so, I advise you to reject Windows 10 for the foreseeable future.  Be advised that Microsoft has committed to support Windows 7 until at least January, 2020.  Most of your current computers will last that long.

You must adopt a protective stance to prevent your Windows 7 system from becoming something you do not want.

I have advised my clients to change the Windows Update Setting to Never check for updates.  Once a month, about a week after the 2nd Tuesday, they will get an email from me advising to manually start WU and then to reject (right-click, hide) specific updates KB3035583, KB2952664, KB2977759, KB3021917, KB3075249, KB3080149, KB3083710, KB3083324,  KB3022345, KB3090045 and  KB3068708.  This list may change over time.  In fact, the December, 1015 update brought a new one: KB3112343 

Some may scoff at this idea.  Well they are incorrect.  Never means you are never giving Microsoft a chance to decide what you download and install.  It does NOT mean you will never update.  The difference is that now you take control and the responsibility of updating of Windows and Office.

Some may believe that Microsoft would not do such a stupid thing.  You must read Woody Leonhard (one of the most respected writers in the trade)  http://www.infoworld.com/article/2983777/microsoft-windows/how-to-clean-the-windows-10-crapware-off-your-windows-7-or-81-pc.html?nsdr=true Woody calls the Windows 10 download “crapware.”  Woody’s advice is that if you have Windows 7, keep it, you are better off by far.

If you see the Windows flag on the bottom right of your screen, chances are pretty high, your computer already has the Win10 file. Even if you do not, it may be on your computer shortly anyway.  Here are instructions on how to rid yourself of it:

First download and run GWX Control panel.  A free app:  http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2979572/microsoft-windows/gwx-stopper-an-easy-way-to-permanently-delete-get-windows-10-nagware-in-windows-7-and-81.html

It will allow you to prevent any future operating system upgrades and delete downloaded Win10 files, but it will not remove any of Microsoft’s installed or attempts to install spyware.

This process works, but it only works if you do all the steps and do them in order.

1. Take Windows Update off automatic — Never check for updates
  2. Windows Update, Installed updates, WAIT a long time till you see the green bar complete its long trip to the right
  3. Now, search for each of the listed updates, uninstall them.  You must wait until the list is re-created each time.
  4. If there are others you want to uninstall, click Later
  5. Then, clear the search box and after a brief wait, enter another KB number.
  6. Restart the PC

If you choose “check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them”, Microsoft will download an “important” updates like KB3035583 to your computer.  It will be pre-checked — selected.  Unless you check Windows Update (WU) and discover this BEFORE you shut down, it will install it during the shut-down process.   Hiding accomplishes nothing.

This is more than annoying.  It goes way beyond that.  It is underhanded, dishonest and just plain wrong for Microsoft to do this.  There is no offer to accept or refuse.  There is no informed consent.  There is not even an idea of what it is your getting and what the result is if you change your mind.

8 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress