Question

Q: Error 1402: could not open key: unknown\components when installin a Printer

I am installin a printer HP Photosmart C7280. When I try toi instal the driver I get a message such as
Error 1402: could not open key: unknown\components  etc

Answer

A:

Hey graycat2,

To resolve the error 1402 generated during HP printer driver installation, please follow these steps:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the windows help article below.

Back up the registry
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

1.    Click Start, type in Regedt32 and then click OK. This will open the Registry Editor.
2.    On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
3.    Click the registry key for the user who is currently logged on, and ensure that Read and Full Control permissions are both set to Allow.
4.    Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user who is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
5.    Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box, and clear the Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here check box.
6.    Click Apply, and then click Yes when you are prompted to continue.
7.    Click OK, and then click OK again.
8.    On the Registry menu, click Exit.

Once you’re through with the registry editor, run the HP printer installation. It should go successful this time.

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 4,156 Last updated: March 20, 2018 Applies to: