Question

Q: Cannot update Windows 7 without being forced to download Windows 10

I had a reservation for Windows 10, but decided I didn't want it, so I ust kept cancelling the download/install when it tried.  However, I have not received a Win 7 Pro update for almost a year.  Now the free Win 10 install has ended, and suddenly over a hundred Win 7 Pro updates are available.  However, when I try to install them, Win 10 (not listed among the important updates) tries to install.  How can I stop the Win 10 attempts to install.  I just want the win 7 Pro updates.  I'm afraid to shut down my PC less Win 10 downloads on shut down.

Answer

A:

A lot of problems arise from setting Windows Update to automatically update. You may prefer to change this setting. Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates is a box showing the current setting. Click on the Arrow down to the right and change the selection to “Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them”. Also uncheck the box before Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates. Click on OK and restart your computer.

Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Check for Updates. If optional updates are available click optional updates and make sure that the box before Windows 10 is unchecked. Click on Install and click again on Install in the next window and the process of installing starts. You should let the process proceed without interruption. Multi-tasking at the time updating is in progress is unwise. The progress window will tell you what is going on. You need to be patient. Restart the computer when prompted to do so.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 327 Last updated: March 20, 2018 Applies to: