Bluescreen error: "Parity Check Memory Parity Error"

Original title: Hulu and the blue screen of death--what is going on?

A few weeks ago I was watching a show on Hulu and got the blue screen of death.  A reboot fixed it for a while, then I started getting blue screens even when not watching Hulu, or any other video for that matter. The message was ??MI Parity Check Memory Parity Error. (the first letter was off the screen and not readable)  Once, I also got a message that said Kernal Stack Crash Dump, and several times a blue screen that had a message that went away before I could read it. 

I am running Win7 Ultimate 32 bit on a Dell XPS. The computer originally had XP but was bought specificaly powered to use Vista, which was just coming out.  I ran Vista till Win 7 came out. The Win7 was bought from Microsoft direct. While it is an old computer, the Dell folks tell me it is still a good video card (an Nvidia something). More on RAM below.

I ran the extended memory diagnostic and came up clean. On advice of Dell I did a clean reinstall of Win7 and at that time updated ALL my drivers for everything, including the video card.  About a week later I upgraded from 2gig to 4 gig of RAM using memory purchased from Dell

Everything was fine till tonight (about a week after the memory upgrade)  when I watched Hulu again. When I closed the tab (IE 8) after watching a show, the Blue Screen came back, same message about memory parity.   I have run the boot diagnostics on the computer and my hardware seems OK.  I will be talking to Dell software folks in the AM. I have googled AND Bing'd the web and can't find any responses that don't suggest what I have already tried--reinstall Win7, update drivers.

after the first blue screen but before the clean reinstall, I started getting all sorts of very strange problems. My favorite was when Windows decided it wasn't Genuine and tried to stop Microsoft Security Essentials.  I got the Win7 straight from Microsoft so I KNOW that was not the case.

While I think there must be some sort of corruption of Win 7 by the Hulu site (I watched from the website not the Windows Media Center) it seems to spread throughout Win7 thereafter and thus should be a concern of Win7 folks, not just a shuck-off to the Hulu folks. Does anyone have any idea WHY this is happening to people--more than just me, if Google/Bing are to be trusted.

The solution at this point is not to use Hulu, but I am afraid that the continuing corruption will recur, and I will not be a  happy camper if I have to do another clean reinstall. 

I don't know if this happens with other streaming video sites since I don't watch much video on my computer--I don't think I've even been to YouTube lately. Streaming AUDIO (Rhapsody, XM radio) don't seem to cause a problem.

Someone needs to research this and stop with the "update drivers" routine since that is in my case not the problem.  Not sure about Bios, but when I gave the Dell tech my BiOS version he did't seem to think it was relevant. Another Dell tech helped me update the drivers, and for all I know one of the things I downloaded was BIOS.

I do know that Dell doesn't have drivers for my computer that are specific to Win7--just Vista.  Is this something I should be pushing Dell to fix? All else works swimmingly with the Vista drivers Dell has on offer.

Thanks 

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2019 Views 5,294 Applies to:
Hulu isn't a part of Media Center, so not sure why you posted in the Media
Center area. However, there may be other sources for newer video drivers. You
need to post details of what exact video card you have.

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 10:22:29 +0000, auldtwa wrote:

>I do know that Dell doesn't have drivers for my computer that are specific to Win7--just Vista.  Is this something I should be pushing Dell to fix? All else works swimmingly with the Vista drivers Dell has on offer.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Please copy the dmp files from the folder C:\Windows\Minidump first to your desktop, zip all dmp into 1 zip file and upload the zip file to your Skydrive [1] and post a link here, so that I can look at the dumps.

André

[1] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hulu isn't a part of Media Center, so not sure why you posted in the Media
Center area. However, there may be other sources for newer video drivers. You
need to post details of what exact video card you have.

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 10:22:29 +0000, auldtwa wrote:

>I do know that Dell doesn't have drivers for my computer that are specific to Win7--just Vista.  Is this something I should be pushing Dell to fix? All else works swimmingly with the Vista drivers Dell has on offer.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Sorry this didn't help.