After Oct update, optional tab gone and KB3177467 showing

Hardly my best decision, but took the plunge yesterday and installed the full October bundle when I saw it should only include the October security bundle and the September non-security one, not new stuff, and otherwise things seem fine, but when I checked for updates again after installing I saw it show up KB3177467, which I gather was released some time ago but hadn't been offered to me so far, and that's all I see. Had 4 updates in optional tab not hidden, but don't see that anymore.

What happened and what to do now? Does anyone know if 3177467 is safe and whether it'll fix WU to show things right again or do I need to uninstall the bundle and see what happens? First thing I'm concerned about (past serious system issues, of course) is not to have Win10-like forced auto updates shoved down my throat, so to still feel safe to set it back to check and ask before downloading and installing some time after this and know it won't try to install anything on its own.

I'm on Win 7 32-bit.

Question Info

Last updated May 31, 2019 Views 1,429 Applies to:

Hi, 

You can try these methods of troubleshooting and try to uninstall/reinstall the updates after performing these methods: 

Method 1: Run SFC Scan.  

To run an SFC scan, follow these steps:  

1. Run Command Prompt as Administrator 

2. Type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.  

This will check and run an auto-repair on the issue.  

Method 2: Run DISM Tool 

After running the SFC scan and the issue still persist, run the DISM to check the system health and to try restoring the files. To run DISM tool, follow these steps:  

1. Run Command Prompt as Administrator 

2. Type the following command:  

1. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth  

2. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth  

NOTE: This might take a while to finish scanning. Do not cancel. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You may want to consider a System Restore.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, neither reply actually answered my question, but with System Restore advised I gave it a few days and then said might as well try installing what it wants me to and then if it doesn't fix it or it's even worse I guess I may have to reinstall completely, as I never saw System Restore as something you do and then keep going, but an emergency operation to regain access to the system and do what you need to do first (such as back up) after something locked you out, before reinstalling.

Anyway, apparently there was nothing wrong, it just really really wanted me to install that update, like when it used to say there was an update to Windows Update that you need to install before checking for others, just that now that seems to have been done through a regular KB update like so. As soon as I installed it, it immediately showed the remaining optional ones again and all seems normal. Didn't even ask to reboot, though it say it may do that and I'm never aware of having installed an update that said it "may" require reboot and not having to reboot after. Aware of installing some that didn't say that and still having to reboot, on the other hand.

MS has to learn from Linux here! Poked around a bit on Mint recently and found the update system awesome for OS components (but really not keen on the same system being used for installed software which is robbed of the ability to check and be updated separately on its own), everything separate, 5 "safety" tiers that updates are grouped into (released by Mint team, tested and known safe; upstream, tested and known safe; untested but assumed safe; untested and not assumed safe; tested and known potentially unsafe) plus an additional beta option for the really adventurous, with separate special tags for security and kernel updates, and you can say which safety levels to even show up at all, which ones to be notified about / automatically select for installation (always user decision exactly what to actually install and when), and whether security and/or kernel updates should show even if their safety levels would otherwise say to hide them. AND it hardly ever requires reboots; new install, install all the pile of levels 1-3 updates, keep going just fine.

That'd be awesome to have on Windows. Heck, that may even make me seriously consider "upgrading" (even now that it's paid). But going the other way as MS does, with lumped updates and, worse, forced auto on 10, is the main reason I'll be staying well away from it, significantly more so than the "telemetry" really.

Sorry, ranting.

Sorry this didn't help.