2 important updates keep failing.

Hi, I need some help please.  I'm running Window 7 Pro 64 bit and had 18 updates yesterday (14 Jan 2016) and two of them refuse to install regardless of all the checks and repairs I have run, including sfc /scannow.  The updates are KB3121212 and KB2952664. The error codes for these are 80073701 and 80073702 respectively.   I have done most things that are within my capabilities to get these updates installed including downloading the System Update Readiness Tool and running that.  I am at my wits end now and can't see a way forward with it. To be honest this has happened quite regularly and I have just abandoned the updates in the end.  However, it is becoming a regular thing with Microsoft Windows updates and frankly I'm beginning to fall out of love with the company.  I do hope you can help me with this because it is one reason why I have shied away from upgrading to W10 where I have heard much the same from those who have.  Thank you for your help in advance.

Best regards

Keith

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2018 Views 1,986 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thanks Ken,

I have now hidden my update because even over three days running it several times and it wouldn't install.  I will wait until next week sometime and try to download and install it from the MS website and see if that works.  It could be that the servers were busy, but all of the other security updates install very quickly as a rule.  I have a 6 core processor and running 64 bit W7 Pro with 16 gig of RAM.   

Regards

Keith

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

KB3121212 from bulletin MS16-008 was also refusing to install for me on my newer Dell laptop with Win 7 64-bit (Core i3 cpu).  But it finally did install, after over 2.5 hours.  It wasn't a problem on my old Dell desktop with Win 7 32-bit (Pentium 4).

It just happened to be #1 of 18 updates I was installing (Dec. 2015 and Jan. 2016 updates, as my laptop was last updated on Nov. 21).   My laptop was hung up on KB3121212 and wouldn't get past "Installing 1 of 18".  I manually shut down and rebooted, tried the same batch of updates again, with the same result.

At first, I thought the .Net update in that batch was the cause.  Or perhaps it was the new Windows Update agent (Dec. 2015 version).  I broke up the update attempts into smaller groups and rebooted after each one.

a. Windows update agent only.  success.

b. all except the .Net and KB3121212.  success.

c. .Net update only.  success.

d. KB3121212 only.  It took over 2.5 hours but it finally installed.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have done all that, Gerry, then rebooted to no effect.

Sorry this didn't help.

Keith

You may need to change your settings in Windows to be able to see the file. To show hidden files type Folder Options in the search box above the Start button and select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Gerry.  I have followed your instructions to the letter but cannot find these files in either C or in the CBS log folder I'm afraid. I have no idea of what to do next.

Regards

Keith

Sorry this didn't help.

Keith

The System Update Readiness Tool creates a log file that captures any issues that the tool found or fixed. The log file is located at the following location:
•%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
•%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

The system root is normally C. If the files are not there, checkC:\windows\ logs\CBS.

You may need to change your settings in Windows to be able to see the file. To show hidden files type Folder Options in the search box above the Start button and select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

Do not use Search to find the files. Open Windows Explorer (keyboard shortcut Win+E), locate and expand the file path (item 1 in the image below) Computer>Local Disk (C:)>Windows>Logs>CBS (item 2 below). Expand by clicking the arrowhead pointing right immediately before each folder in turn to see the next folder in the file path until you see the CheckSUR.log and CheckSUR.persist.log (item 3 below).

Please upload a copy of these logs to your OneDrive as shared files and post a link here.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

UPDATE.

Please note that no answer to my problem has been found.  I have currently hidden the updates because no matter how many times I have tried to figure the problem they just won't install.  There is obviously something wrong with the updates, as I have read that others have had the same problem.

Regards...Keith

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gerry, thanks for your input.  I already ran scannow earlier in the day and did get the "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".  message.  I also downloaded and ran the System Update Readiness Tool to no effect.  I also tried downloading the update directly from the Microsoft website and tried to install it from there, but that also failed.  All avenues that I have been able to try seem to have been exhausted, and as I'm not experienced enough to search the depths of my computer I have stayed away from the registry.  My Internet Security is Kaspersky 2016 and I also have the free version of Malwarebytes and CCleaner from Piriform.  I have been tempted to run the registry part of CCleaner, but I'm not sure that would be of any use.  Malwarebytes did not find any threats.

PS The failure code was 80073701 for  KB3121212, and 80073702 for KB2952664 

Sorry this didn't help.

Keith

What was the failure code for KB3121212? The advice in my previous message was targeted advice based on the error codes you reported.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply and help. 16 of the 18 installed without a problem.  KB2952664 was for making upgrade to W10 smoother, and as I won't be upgrading anytime soon I have hidden that file.  This leaves KB3121212 still not installing even after rebooting, running repair methods and rebooting again I am getting "Update Failed".  I have tried all the advice given but to no avail so far.  Clearly, Microsoft are sending corrupt updates from time to time as most times they update just fine.  My usual practice is to run the updates after shutting down the Internet and this hasn't made any difference.  I guess I will just have to ignore this update and hide it if I can't get it to work.

Regards

Keith

Sorry this didn't help.