Media Center Guide Keeps Losing Clear QAM channels

My Media Center Channel Guide loses Clear QAM channel listings each night. Without going into details, I believe this is because Media Center is conducting an auto scan.  I've noticed that if I do a scan and allow it to go to completion that all of the channels found are deleted.  Is there any auto scan feature and can it be turned off?
Answer
Answer

It actually does do an automatic background scan of digital channels (Clear-QAM, and ATSC.)  I haven't seen MC actually lose a Guide listing due to it; however, I have seen it frell up (sometimes so seriously, that I had to re-run TV Setup to fix it) my QAM channel mappings (thank you, BHN, for wonky PSIP data!)  As such, I have that function disabled on both of my machines.

To disable the background channel scanner:
Open Regedit.  Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\BackgroundScanner.  You may or may not see a value there namedPeriodicScanEnabled (if it's not there, create it (as a DWORD value) in that folder), and set the ValueData to0.  (for future reference:  0= disabled; 1= enabled.)
Close Regedit, and reboot.
Standard warning:  incorrect editing of the Registry can have far-reaching (and sometimes catastrophic) consequences, and may require reinstalling Windows to correct.  Proceed at your own risk!

Required warning on the BackgroundChannelScanner
:  you cannot run TV Setup (when you're using digital (Clear-QAM and/or ATSC) tuners with this service disabled.  If it is disabled, TV Setup will fail (hard-lock) on the 'scan for additional channels you may receive' portion of setup.  If you need to re-run TV Setup, you must first enable the service.

If this fixes your issue, great.  If it doesn't, you can always re-enable the service (just set it to 1), and we can try something else.

HTH,
Chris

MS-MVP (Media Center) [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2018 Views 9,266 Applies to: