Mouse Pointer is getting messed up

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and have nothing fancy -- regular wired mouse, keyboard, etc.

Every once in a while, my mouse pointer gets messed up i.e. turns into a strange looking line/bar. This seems to happen when I have a few applications running but couldn't tell you if a particular application seems to be causing the issue.

Any idea how I can prevent this issue?

Thanks,

Sam
Thanks,

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2018 Views 320,834 Applies to:
Answer

A Quick fix has been found, does not prevent the problem from reoccurring though, go to control panel-> Hardware -> mouse -> pointer options and set Pointer Trails to yes.

hope this helps (It works for me)

199 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi Imsam67,

Welcome to Microsoft answers.
This might be an issue related with the drivers for the mouse after installing Windows 7; you may try updating the drivers for the mouse from the Device Manager and check.

·         Are you using Desktop computer or Laptop?

1.         Click Start.

2.         Type Device Manager in Start search.

3.         Expand Mice and other Pointing devices in device manager window.

4.         Right Properties.

5.         Click on driver tab.

6.         Click Update drivers.

7.          Click OK.

Check if any exclamation marks are shown with the device. The exclamation mark shows an issue with the driver installed.

Refer the link to update the drivers: Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

I also suggest that you manually download the drivers from the manufacturer’s website and try installing the same on the computer and check.

You may also try connecting mouse to different port and check, this is to narrow down the issue if the issue is with mouse or with ports. You may also try connecting different mouse to the computer and try connecting this mouse to different computer and check.

Swathi B  - Microsoft Support.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

93 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.