your computer was unable to start......startup repair is checking your system for problems- Can I exit this to boot into safe mode?

Original Title:your computer was unable to start......startup repair is checking your system for problems

i have a new toshiba satellite p505-s8970 with windows 7 preinstalled when i first took it out the box and turned it on it started up fine after i connected to my network it stop responding and shut down tried to start it back up it goes to the startup repair utility and stays on that screen i've let it run for hours and nothing happens is there a way around this....is there a way i can start in safe mode to try and figure out whats goin on

Answer
Answer

Hi yoboijeff93, 

I would suggest you try safe mode.

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The words "Safe Mode" appear in the corners of the display to identify which Windows mode you are using. If an existing problem does not reappear when you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and basic device drivers as possible causes.

If you don't know the cause of the problem, you can use the process of elimination to help you find the problem. Try starting all of the programs you commonly use, including the programs in your Startup folder, one by one, to see if a program might be the cause of the problem.

Follow the steps to boot the computer in safe mode with networking:

1.     Restart your computer if it is powered on.

2.     Tap the F8 key after your computer initially powers on.

3.     Once you see the Advanced Boot Options menu you can stop tapping.

4.     Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight your selection.

5.     Select Safe Mode with Networking and press Enter.

6.     You should see drivers loading, and then please wait.

7.     You should then be at the Welcome Screen.

8.     Logon to your computer using an account with Administrator privileges.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode

All the best

Regards

Bharath
Microsoft  Support

346 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 18, 2021 Views 388,164 Applies to: