winload.exe missing or corrupt 0xc000000e Windows 7 Recovery Console Startup Repair Not Working

I had to restart my computer after a critical Windows 7 Update.  My PC would not restart so I ran the Windows 7 Recovery Console from the OS install disk.  It asked me to choose an OS from the list and said that if none were listed to click "load drivers" to install the drivers for the boot device.  Since my OS was not listed, I clicked "load drivers" not even knowing what I would look for.  Weirdly, it took me to an explorer window in which I was able to see all the contents of my OS drive.  I was able to navigate to the Windows folder, open up cmd.exe, etc.  However, I was not able to do anything in the Recovery Console because my OS did not show up in the list.

I took out the OS hard drive and put it in my second computer that is also running Windows 7.  In explorer, the entire hard disk is viewable.  I ran chkdsk and there were no errors.  I rebooted and ran the Recovery Console from the Windows 7 installation disk.  This time, both Operating Systems showed up.  I highlighted the OS from the problematic PC and ran the repair utility on it which claimed to fix the OS files on that disk.

I restarted the PC and it gave me two OS choices.  I chose the OS from the problematic PC and it said that winload.exe is missing error 0xc000000e.  I then tried to do a system restore through recovery console and it said it successfully restored the drive to an earlier date, 5 days ago.  But - when I try to boot - I still get winload.exe is missing error 0xc000000e.  I really do not want to reinstall Windows 7 to this drive.  Any way to fix the boot on this disk?

Also, tried copying the winload.exe file from C:\Windows\System32 on the good OS to C:\Windows\System32 on the bad OS and it reported that "you need permission to perform this action"

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Has anyone come up with a fix for this because all of the information listed doesn't help at all I have done everything listed.

I have read this thread multiple times trying to find a fix for this.  If you have tried all of the above; next, try this.

Boot from PE disc equal to the OS installed. (Probably 7, as these commands may not exist in other PE discs)

run this command at the prompt.  (You may want to use /? to learn about what you are doing.)

BCDBoot.exe c:\windows /s C:

This created a new entry in the BCD that worked, but gave me a boot option screen that needed removed with:

BCDEdit.exe /delete {your-old-guid-that-doesn't-work} /cleanup

This procedure is pretty simple and worked perfectly for me.  Now, if I can only figure out how i screwed up the .wim in the first place... :)

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The Windows 8/8.1............. Doesn't Boot .........repair is here................

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/61529-bsod-error-0xc0000225-only-have-access-bios-cmd-6.html#post477438

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello There,

I had the same issue after trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from my Windows 7 Professional x64 OS. 

After my PC "updated" I was stuck in a start-up repair loop.

The Error I was receiving was file was corrupt.

I tried ChkDsk... No Dice. SFC /scannow ... Cannot run due to current system repair in progress...

After spending hours looking online and trying all the suggested commands.... Nothing was working.

So I tried something else...

I navigated to the source folder (c:\Windows\System32)

I deleted the corrupt file (del winload.exe)

I went to my Windows 7 Professional x64 laptop (Same Edition) and copied the C:\Windows\System32\winload.exe file onto the root of a flash drive.

I plugged this flash drive into my broken PC.

I then accessed the Recovery Console (AGAIN!!!) via the Windows 7 recovery cd and ran the following in commands:

1. wmic logicaldisk get deviceid, volumename, description (This will help you locate the flash drive)

2. *: (* is letter assigned to your flash drive)

3. copy winload.exe c:\Windows\System32 (Assuming your system drive is C)

I verified that the file did indeed copy...

1. c:

2. dir Windows\System32\winl*

The file was present, so I rebooted and was back up and running.

Hope this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a directory /BCD on windows vista boot volume. It contains windows boot menu entries, something that was boot.ini in older times. bcdedit.exe is a Vista utility to edit this information (bootrec.exe on others?). It also shows current entries (/query). When one lists the bcd entries they see, that an entry refers to a disk id. That's the clue of the problem.

If you move windows system to another partition and the id of the partition changes, windows boot loader will refuse to use it. One of the solutions is to copy the partition together with its id. In clonezilla there is an option "use dd to create partition table". The other solution is to rebuild bcd. Probably windows install does this, maybe there are tools for that too.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

this is most helpful as I think I am exactly in your situation with the Win10 and Win7 situation.

where can I get the winload.exe file though? Is it available on the Windows Installation CD?

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 16, 2023 Views 119,105 Applies to: