Windows doesn't boot up. Start up repair cannot fix it. Please help.

I think this happened right after a windows automatic update a few days ago. Or I might have added a head phone and the device screwed things up. Nevertheless my Lenovo U400 will not boot up. It says windows cannot repair this computer automatically. I can't even boot up in safe mode. I tried to find a restore point and there are none of those.    At boot up it goes to start windows 7  then a blue screen with white letters flash for a sec then takes me to windows recovery. And then stArt up repair cannot repair the problem. Please help and let me know what I can do to fix it. Thank you. 

Hi Vndorkim,

Thank you for posting the issue on the Microsoft Community Forums.

Based on the description provided, it looks like you are facing an issue while login to the computer.

It would be great if you could answer this question in order to assist you further.

What is the complete error message or error code?

Blue screen can be caused by hardware and software issues; I would suggest you to perform a startup repair using Windows 7 installation disc and check.

Startup repair, refer to the following steps:

a.     Insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, or a system repair disc, and then shut down your computer.

b.     Restart your computer using the computer's power button.

c.     When prompted, press any key, and then follow the instructions that appear.

d.     On the Install Windows page, or on the System Recovery Options page, choose your language and other preferences, and then click next.

If neither the Install Windows page nor the System Recovery Options page appears, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

e.     If you are using the Windows installation disc or USB flash drive, click Repair your computer.

f.      Select the Windows installation you want to repair, and then click next.

g.     On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool to open it.

h.     Select the option Startup repair.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Refer to the steps from the following Microsoft article:

Resolving stop (blue screen) errors in Windows 7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

Notes:

While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

When you perform System Restore to restore the computer to previous state, programs and updates you installed are removed.

Before performing in-place upgrade, I would recommend you to Back up your files using windows backup.

If you need any other information about Windows, feel free to post your questions and we will be glad to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 23, 2017 Views 294 Applies to: