windows 7 wont load safe mode or normally

I have Windows 7, and after turning my computer off recently, windows started, and showed the login screen for about 3 seconds, then froze and went to BSOD. I then rebooted in Safe Mode, performed System Restore, which worked and allowed me to logon normally. but after i powered down again, rebooting gave me the login for 3 seconds,BSOD. I got back to safe mode, and started system restore. but after i restored,windows wont start. no mater if i use normal or safe mode or last known working, it shows the loadig, then goes to black screen w/ cursor. no matter how long i let it sit or retry or try a different mode, it always goes black. Please help if you can! 

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community. As per the description you are unable to boot the computer. Provide the following information:

·         Do you get any error message?

·         What is the make and model of the computer?

·         Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

I will help you with this issue. I would suggest you to follow these methods.

Method 1: Disconnect all the external devices and try to boot the computer.

Method 2: Boot the computer in last know good configuration.

Method 3: Follow the steps from the article.

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions

Windows Vista or Windows 7 no longer starts, and the Startup Repair tool does not fix the problem

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

Method 4: If still the issue persists, perform a system restore from windows recovery environment with the Windows 7 DVD.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

For reference:

What to do if Windows won't start correctly (Applicable to Windows 7)

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 23, 2017 Views 123 Applies to: