Windows 7 Won't Hibernate on Command

Hi, I currently have a Dell Inspiron 15R and can't seem to get it to hibernate. It will hibernate automatically after a preset time, but I can't make it hibernate by selecting the hibernate option from the shutdown menu.  Instead, the computer screen will go black for a couple of seconds, and then my login screen pops up. I've disabled and re-enabled hybrid sleep, but that doesn't seem to do anything. I've also checked to make sure that nothing is waking my computer up when it goes to hibernate by disabling the "allow wake timers" feature.

Incidentally, I recently re-partitioned my hard drive, and my computer ran a disk check shortly after.  Several locations were found to be corrupt and were removed.  Could this be a contributing factor?

In the end, I'd just like to have a little help.  My computer will auto-hibernate, so this isn't a huge deal, but I'd still like to have the control to make my computer hibernate whenever I'd like, for convenience sake.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Drew,

This issue may occur if a hardware device is keeping the computer awake or if all the drivers are up-to-date.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try the steps in the article and check if it helps.

Note: Try the steps under the topic "Why does my computer not go into sleep or hibernation as expected, or why does it wake unexpectedly?"

Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

Method 2:
If the issue persists, I would suggest you to create a new power plan and check if it helps.

Power plans: frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Power-plans-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Geethu,

Thanks for your quick response! I first checked to make sure my drivers were updated, and it turns out that they were all up to date.  I went into Device Manager and checked every device to make sure that a device wasn't waking my computer up.  I then did as you said and checked to make sure that I did not have a sleep timer enabled.  No devices are waking my machine up, and no sleep timers are enabled.  I then created a new power plan, but I still cannot tell my computer to hibernate.

Either way, thanks for your help.  Do you have any ideas as to what else may be causing the problem?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem and symptoms as Drew.   I have a laptop and even in undocked, standalone mode I have this problem. 

I have Win7 will all the latest critical and important updates.  I started noticing the problem in the last week.

Chuck

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 24, 2017 Views 780 Applies to: