Windows 7 Will Not Load/Start Up Repair Failed--Help!

I'm unable to to start Windows 7. It won't start in safe mode; and "Start Up Repair" said it cannot repair this problem. The crash (progressive "freeze") began a short time after I downloaded and installed the program, WinDjViewer (a djvu-file reader),--and I did scan the file with an up-to-date McAFee program before installing it. The viewer worked fine while I used it; I then went back online where the "freezing began". I have tried Safe Mode, as well as System Restore ("Last Known Good Config", from the  "Win Recovery  Environment"), but it says it "cannot find the file".

Here is Start Up Repair's  Problem report:

Problem Signature 01 :     6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02 :     6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03 :     Unknown
Problem Signature 04 :     -1
Problem Signature 05 :     AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06 :     1
Problem Signature 07 :     Corrupt Registry

OS Version                      6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID                         1033

Unfortunately,  I have no back-up disks, no Image recovery, and at present do not have a Windows 7 recovery disk. I'm not very experienced with computers, but I am quite intelligent (my research area is mathematics), and could very much use the help and advice of gifted and intelligent people.

Thanks so much for listening,

Chris

Question Info

Last updated December 23, 2017 Views 824 Applies to:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft community

From the issue description, I understand that you are not able to boot to the desktop. I will be glad to assist you on this issue.

I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link:

Windows Vista or Windows 7 no longer starts, and the Startup Repair tool does not fix the problem
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934540

After you try the above steps suggested, reply us with the results. If you are able to fix issue. or do let us know the results for further troubleshooting.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Vijay,

Thank you so much for replying. I read the referred article over carefully. Unfortunately, no USB flash drives (or devices) of any kind have been added to this computer for over a year now; so there are no flash drives for me to remove.

Additionally,  Start Up Repair actually identified several problems--including a corrupted registry, which (after about 2 hrs of attempted repairs), reported that it could not fix the problems. This is, of course, what it continues to report.

My guess, simply from the timing (this computer has worked perfectly to this point), is that it was the downloading and installing of a WinDjViewer (from CNET) which initiated the failure.

One new piece of information (probably rather obvious) is that in Start Up Repairs report, where it had originally reported

Problem Signature 05 :  "AutoFailover"

it now reads

Problem Signature 05 :  "Manual Repair".

Additionally, when I again tried the System Restore option this morning, it now reports that no restore points have been created (I actually did create some a few months ago--and verified them immediately afterward, so the restore points must have been wiped out, or corrupted, or their pathways corrupted?). Originally, it reported it could not find the files.

Waiting for further instructions--again thank you for your help.

Chris

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for joining us again.

1. Is this original equipment manufacturer (OEM) computer or did you install Windows 7 separately?
2. Did you try the steps from
KB927392?

If you did not try, you need to try the steps from the above article. In-order to try the steps from the above link you need Windows 7 disc. If the computer is OEM computer then you need to contact OEM for the disc. If you have purchased Windows 7, then you need to arrange for the disc.

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand, Vijay. thankyou.

Our computer came fully equipped with Windows 7 pre-installed by Dell. In the interest of not wasting any time, may I ask you two very simple questions:

(1) Should I request both a Windows 7 Recovery disk as well as a Windows 7 OS re-installation disk, or do they come on the same DVD? Should I request anything more?

(2) This may sound like a silly question, but I would like to be sure from which vender it is customary to request such disks. (All of my previous computers have always come with a re-installation package--this is the first time no actual software was included by Dell--a recent policy change, I assume.) Should I request the disks from from Dell (from whom we purchased the computer, with Windows 7 factory installed by them), or should I request them from Microsoft?

Again, thanks for your time.

Chris

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for joining us again.

You need to contact the computer shop from where you purchased the computer. Usually when you purchase a computer dell will be providing the recovery disc. If you did not get the disc then contact computer shop and get the disc.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Vijay,

Very good,

I will contact Dell and have them send me a Recovery/Re-installation disk.

After I receive it (and after fully reading the article you cited earlier), I will reply on this thread for further help.

Thanks so much.

Chris

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply.

Once you try the above steps let us know the result so that we can continue with further troubleshooting.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Vijay,

I wanted to let you know our computer issues have been fully resolved. This is what happened.

It turned out (after a lot of false-starts and mistaken initial diagnoses by Dell support) that the hard-drive had failed completely (I now know what "Error Code:  0146" means).

Because it was still on warranty (only three weeks remaining!), a local Dell technician came to our home and simply replaced the hard drive with a new factory-image version.

I've got it up and running, and everything looks beautiful; and we only lost a small amount of data.

But I wanted to thank you for your time, and willingness to help.

All my best to you and your circle of family and friends.

Chris

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the update.
Glad to hear that you are able to fix the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.