Windows 7 will not boot.

When I switch my PC on all I get is a blank screen, Windows will not boot at all. I have tried inserting the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade disc but this has not resolved the problem.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2019 Views 74,385 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi MjamD,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers community.

I will need some more information to assist you better.
a) Since when are you facing this problem?

Try booting into Safe Mode and do a System Restore to early point in time before you started experiencing this problem.

Method 1:

To use a Safe mode option, follow these steps:

1.    Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
2.    Use the arrow keys to choose Safe Mode in Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

System restore will take your computer to pervious state when it was not facing such problem, this can be done by selecting the
proper restore point.  

To restore the operating system to an earlier point in time, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type system restore in the Start Search box, and then click System Restore in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
2. In the System Restore dialog box, click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.
3. In the list of restore points, click a restore point that was created before you began to experience the issue, and then click Next.
4. Click Finish.

For more information visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/

If the above method did not resolve your issue then, try the below method.

Method 2:

Steps to perform Startup Repair on your computer:

1. Insert the Windows installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 
2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …" appears.
3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 
4. Click Repair your computer. 
5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

For more information visit the below links:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810

If you are unable to see the option "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …” then follow the steps mentioned below to change the boot order in bios.

Bios Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

1.      Restart your computer.
2.      Newer computers usually display a startup (or boot) menu. On the startup menu, select "BIOS setup," or "BIOS settings," or something similar.
Procedures vary depending on the BIOS manufacturer. Usually, you must press a key (such as F2, F12, Delete, Esc) or a key combination immediately after you turn on your computer but before Windows starts. For more information, check the information that came with your computer or go to the computer manufacturer's website.
3.      The BIOS setup screen appears. On the BIOS setup screen, select the option called "Boot order," or something similar.
4.      Select your main hard drive as the first startup device, save the setting changes, and then exit the BIOS.
5.      Restart your computer.

BIOS: frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/BIOS-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this information is helpful.
Let me know if this worked.

Thanks and Regards:
Umesh P - Microsoft Support
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads/ and let us know what you think.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have been having this problem for 3 days.

I cannot attempt anything you suggested as when I turn my PC on nothing is displayed except a blank screen.

Since my first post I have had the PC boot twice with no problems. I found that leaving the power off for a few minutes then turning back on allowed it to start.
However, whenever I have tried to start my PC after shutdown I get the blank screen, have to disconnect power and try again. As I write this from a different PC, I cannot even do this anymore.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MjamD,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows 7 Community.  What color is the screen? When you restart the computer, do you see the manufacturer’s logo?  When try to access the BIOS, what happens? Please provide as much detail as possible about this issue so that we may better assist you.

Dena
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Dena

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, when booting with the upgrade cd, it does nothing. it will take me as far as "starting windows" but once it starts, it is a black screen with an arrow that moves, that's it. Starting in safe mode, it will flash a blue screen and then restarts to give me an option to start windows repair or start normally, both will yield me th black screen with an arrow. I tried last known confirguaration, it will restart on its own and again, nothing but a blank screen. Since the windows 7 upgrade cd don't have any restore options it seems, where can i get a restore cd?? or is there another way?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I switch my PC on all I get is a blank screen, Windows will not boot at all. I have tried inserting the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade disc but this has not resolved the problem.

your pc is set up to boot from the hard drive so you go in the bios and change it to boot from cd rom but dont forget to change it when you have done it thats how i done it
mark moseley

Sorry this didn't help.

as i stated above your pc is set to boot from the hard drive so go into the bios and change it to boot from cd rom and change it once you have fixed it , i done that but now i cant find were you make the disc that will bt up in future its a pain
mark moseley

Sorry this didn't help.

and i got told this of dell techs on the phone     change boot devices
mark moseley

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem. When I press the computer's power button, the computer just powers up, but no screens appear(my monitor says: "no signal") and I cannot get into BIOS or anything. I also tryed system restore before since I've had this problem for months and the compiter boots rarely (I keep it in Sleep mode so I can use it when I want to). I tryed putting the Windows Installation disc , it didn't work. I would greatly appreciate a fix for this problem because I can't even format the computet to try to get it to work.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.

Did you get a fix for it at all ????

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have had this problem for several weeks. My computer power will come on (blue light is lit on power button) and I hear the fan running, but my monitor indicates it is searching for a signal and when it does not find one, it goes to sleep. 

I have also had some success with unplugging, either from the wall or sometimes the power cord from the back of the computer, but more often nothing helps.  I, too, cannot go to anything because my screen cannot talk to my computer.

Any solutions?

Wendy L

Sorry this didn't help.