Windows 7 will not boot, system restore, startup repair or boot from dvd

A few days ago my computer, gateway fx, wouldn't open anything, it acted like it wanted to but then would stop. I tried restarting but that wouldn't work either so I did a force restart. I was prompted that windows failed to boot given the option to start normally or through safe mode. I started through safe mode and attempted a system restore and was informed the restore had failed. I also tried startup repair which failed.  I tried to fix the problem with the Widows 7 repair disc, which also failed. During all of this I have been looking for info on any forum and nothing their worked either. I can no longer bring up the advanced boot settings or BIOS. Now the only thing that will happen is the windows boot manager screen tells me to insert my install disc, restart and repair through that. Again, restore or repair do not work even on the install disc. After selecting my language, I select repair. I can select the option to restore operating system, which is no longer listed, or restore computer using system image. I can select to load drivers with operating system but have had no luck there, still a possibility. System image yields no success either. When i cancel out of that, I have the list of recovery tools. Again, startup repair and system restore no longer have any options to select either. Command prompt is my only choice but I am not computer savvy enough to do that myself. From what I can tell, my only options are now seeing if someone with enough knowledge can help or buy a new computer.

Question Info

Last updated March 17, 2019 Views 2,639 Applies to:
Answer
Do "dir c:\" and "dir d:\"  and you will probably be surprised that in this environment, drive letter D:\ is your old drive letter C:\.  Your original windows install, programs, and C:\users\ folders are for the moment on drive D:\. 

Drive letter X:\  is the temporary PE booted OS.

Choose drive D: next time.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.