Windows 7 will not boot properly.-- Drive letters changed after using clonezilla and startup repair

This is a long and sordid tale, so pay close attention as I weave it.

I was attempting to clone my 250GB hard drive to a brand new 1TB one yesterday using Clonezilla. During the process somewhere halfway through, it either crashed or encountered an error or something, and I had to reboot my computer. Apparently it had been doing a decent job of reshuffling things however, because the master boot record on my original hard drive was already gone. Cue me spending the next 3 hours trying to find a way of repairing it using Ubuntu.

Eventually I did manage to get it working again, and when I finally got the original hard drive up and running I thought that maybe I should run the Startup Repair program on the Windows 7 disk to make sure that everything was in order. I did this, and it recommended that I restart the computer upon completion.

When I did so, the first thing I noticed was that there were two operating systems to choose from during boot: Windows 7 and Windows 7 (Recovered). I tried the first one for the heck of it, and it doesn't work at all. The Windows 7 (Recovered) one works, but only to a point. It'll boot to an operating system, but most of the programs won't run. This includes Explorer.exe and basically a host of critical system operations. Basically it boots up to a blank background.

Besides a general lack of startup programs running, even after I get Explorer.exe to run I can't run most other applications. They all give me various errors, including telling me that explorer.exe has no function to open folders or that said pathway doesn't exist and such. Secondly, somewhere along the way the computer decided I didn't have a valid install of Windows 7 even though the disk is sitting directly in the drive and the product key is less than two feet from my face.

I'm starting to think that maybe the drive's letter got changed during the recovery process (which makes no sense, let's be honest). It's the only thing I can think of at the moment. Maybe with some of your opinions I can get a clearer picture and hopefully a solution.

Computer Stats:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
RAM: 8GB
Drive Space: 250 GB (original drive)

Question Info

Last updated December 19, 2017 Views 787 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Cave Johnson,

·         Was the cloning of hard drive completed successfully?

I would suggest you to try performing a system restore to revert back to the correctly working settings, to do that follow the instructions below:

a.       Click Start, type system restore in the Start Search box, and then click System Restore in the Programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

b.      In the System Restore dialog box, click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.

c.       In the list of restore points, click a restore point that was created before you began to experience the issue, and then click Next.

d.      Click Finish.

For more information refer this below link:

System Restore: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this information helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.