Windows 7 will not boot, even from reinstall disk.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 7 64 bit SP1. 

Computer crashes to BSOD 0x00000024 error when booted either from hard drive or CD.  It loads the windows files, but when windows tries to start it crashes.  

I tried to boot from reinstall CD, but still same BSOD.  I can only boot Windows Defender Offline or my Dell Utilities/Drivers CD or if I remove the hard drive.  Consequently I can't get to the Recovery Console, etc.

When I boot from Dell Utilities and get a command prompt it can't find the hard drive, just the RAMdisk created by the Utilities CD.  Apparently hard drive is bad, and I think a key file has been corrupted, but without the ability to run CHKDSK I don't know how to fix. 

I can replace the hard drive, but don't want to lose the data, if possible.  Any ideas??

Question Info

Last updated December 24, 2017 Views 122 Applies to:

Hello,

Two problems, two ideas.

Booting the computer:  I recommend a program call BootMed, which has the ability to boot unbootable machines. Many others have used it and had good success. Download this freeware application from here:  http://download.cnet.com/BootMed-64Bit/3000-2094_4-75450831.html . It is a very long download, but for those that it works for (solid majority), its saved them from a trip to the repair shop.

Retrieving files from a bad drive:  I recommend another freeware program called AidFile, download that one from here:  http://www.aidfile.com/product.htm (make sure you download the Free version). It should allow you to recover files from a bad drive.

Let me know if these fix the issues for you.

Regards,

BearPup

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks!  I'll try those and let you know.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.