Windows 7 System Image Recovery Error 0x80042412

My 30GB OCZ SSD drive failed, but luckily Windows had a fresh full-system image backed up on my USB hard drive.  I unplugged the SSD, plugged in my 1TB HDD, and tried the System Image Recovery (from the Windows 7 64-bit DVD).  It saw my image on the USB disk, and the 1TB hard drive, but I keep getting error code 0x80042412.  I searched and found:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/a474ef4f-1a40-415a-a27c-3b081fc560df?prof=required&wa=wsignin1.0

It suggests that I cannot restore the 30GB image to a larger hard disk, but I need to figure out a way to extract the image onto my hard drive.  I assumed Windows could restore the image to any hard drive (if there was enough free space), so I've been looking around for any other programs that will extract the image created by Windows 7.  I tried Macrium, but it couldn't see the image.

Any suggestions on getting this to work with the Windows 7 DVD, or a bootable program that can extract the image to my new hard drive?

Thanks for your help!
Anyone have any ideas?  I really need to get my computer restored and back up and running...

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Mikemacm,

a)    Which software have you tried to backup the system image?

Sometimes if you have use third party software to back the image you might receive this error message. Let’s try to restore your computer from a system image backup and check if it helps. Please refer the link mentioned below:

Restore your computer from a system image backup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Restore-your-computer-from-a-system-image-backup

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Choosing an advanced recovery method

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Choosing-an-advanced-recovery-method

I hope this information helps. Please get back to us if you have any more questions about this issue.

Thanks
Mir - Microsoft Support                                                            
Visit our
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mir A :

Thanks for your reply!

I used the built-in Windows 7 backup program to create a full system image.  I did not use any 3rd party software.

My hard drive crashes, so I cannot access Windows.  I am booting from the Windows 7 DVD into Recovery mode, then trying to restore from the image on my external hard drive to a new SATA hard drive.  I keep getting this error, even though the image is fine - the program won't work.

I need to manually extract the image created by Windows 7 to the new hard drive.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

unfortunately, as far as I have found out, you need to use the exact same model and make of harddrive in conjunction with the Windows 7 recovery from image.

I thought you could recover to any new harddrive - that didn't work. 
Then I tried a different model, but the same size - that didn't work either.

So, for the time being, in the case of harddrive failure you need to get the exact same harddrive :-(
to restore your image onto.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So far I am using the same HD and not having any luck either.

WD320GB Scorpion (WD3200BEVE)

I have a thinkpad and the drive is on it's last legs (bearing noise very appearant)

1) Called WD they shupped a replacement drive. (same make / model)

2) COmpleted create system image from within Windows 7

3) Had image placed on D: (an old 40gb hitachi I had)

4) Replace new drive (WD 320)

5) Attempt system restor

6) No luck

I am in an infinite loop of not being able to restore the image (regardless of if I use the recovery cd I created or the original intall disk.

Is there any help ? WHat is the point of making a system image if you cannot get it accomplish the most strateforward Hardware swap?

RJD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here and it seems to be a common problem.  We should start a Facebook group on the issue and hope that we will get some attention

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same error code while swapping my hard drive for and SSD for my Gateway DX4831. I found out that I made the image while I had the new SSD connected to the computer, and the SSD had a failed Window installation. I disconnected the SSD and remade a new image, wipped clean the SSD, now the restoration is runing fine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 24, 2020 Views 6,245 Applies to: