Windows 7 stuck on startup, freezes at classpnp.sys

ok i got windows 7 home i cant boot to safe mode it freezes at classpnp.sys when loading all the files i started it up and now it freezes at starting windows black screen with the windows 4 color tiles i dont have a startup disk and dont get the option to repair windows with f8 how can i get to repair windows mode to try and repair windows and why is safe mode freezeing
|

Hi,

Thanks for posting this question in Microsoft Community.

As I understand you are not able to boot the computer to safe mode. I will definately try and help you get the issue resolved. however before we begin, please answer this questions.

1. Since when are you facing the issue?
  2. Have you made any recent software or hardware changes on the computer?

You may go through the post and check if it helps.

It is the same issue with classpnp.sys and can’t get into Safe Mode. The suggestion from Limbix on March 10, 2010 is good. Another good solution is the one from Chris7174 to do a System File Checker scan.

Give the steps and try and check.

Since you don’t have a Windows 7 disc, then use

this post as to how to download Windows 7 ISO file.  

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This problem seems pretty widespread and I read lots of threads to try and fix this and was not looking forward to rebuilding PC but I got lucky. Suggest you try this for yourselves as it worked for me.

I originally only posted this on one thread but have had feedback that it has worked for someone else so posting this more widely now.

·         Reboot in Safe Mode with Command Prompt

·         When the boot script freezes at "CLASSPNP.SYS" line hit <ctrl><break>

·         When I tried this it killed the frozen command line session and then Windows went on to reboot in safe mode

·         I then restarted in normal mode and hey presto no more problems

·         Not yet anyway

What a surprise that an old MSDOS keyboard command seems to be able, at least in my and one other case, to fix what appears to be a significant Windows problem for so many...makes you think.

Hope this saves a few people from having to do major reinstall work or hardware fixes.

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this problem twice. The first time the <ctrl><break> worked. The second time it did not. I was about to format the drive. I've pulled it out, hooked it up to my Linux PC, copied data over and when I put it back in it booted up. I was not using USB but connected my drive to the PC through the SATA cables. Maybe it will work for you too?

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I confirmed that removing the hard drive and putting it back in on a laptop has fixed the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2021 Views 14,543 Applies to: