Windows 7 stuck at boot screen, Safe Mode boot with System Restore ineffective

I recently went through a Windows Update (Sunday, December 16th), and my computer applied the updates and shut down. Upon restarting it, my computer (Sony Vaio VGN-NW270F) kept getting stuck at the boot screen. I tried to do Last Good Configuration, but that didn't get me past the boot screen. Safe Mode will let me in, but no matter how far back I go with System Restore, it still won't boot up. I don't have a recovery disk (though I know I could make one), but I'm not sure what to do if System Repair won't work and System Restore doesn't help.
Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

From your issue description, I understand that you are unable to boot in Normal mode. Please let me know if this is not the issue that you are facing.

Before we proceed with troubleshooting, I would need little information on the issue.
1. What is the exact or complete error message?
2. Have you made any recent changes to the computer prior to this issue?

Try the Methods mentioned below and check:
Method 1: Disconnect external devices, except keyboard and mouse.

Method 2: Perform “Hardware Clean boot” in Safe mode, to check if Sound, display drivers are causing the issue.
a) Open the Device Manger: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-Device-Manager
b) Expand Display devices. Right click on the listed device and select “Disable”.
c) Expand Sound devices. Right click on the listed device and select “Disable”.

Method 3: Perform ‘Software Clean boot’, to check if any third party software or services are causing the issue:
Troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Note: Once you are done with “clean boot”, please follow Step 3 from the article mentioned above to set the computer to normal startup.

Method 4: Perform “System Restore” using Windows 7 installation disc.
Reference link:
Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-from-a-Windows-7-installation-disc-or-USB-flash-drive
BIOS Disclaimer: Modifying Basic Input Output system (BIOS)/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If the issue persists, post your reply with results and questions asked as above. We are happy to assist you with advanced troubleshooting steps.

Hope it helps.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 28, 2018 Views 1,119 Applies to: