Windows 7 professional, 32bit, Critical error, Kernel-Power, event Id: 41' task cat: 63

Hi! I'm new here.
I upgraded my pc vista to windows 7 professional 32bit. It was working fine but after I upgraded I got this critical error.
My spec is AMD Atholon 64 x2 dual core 5000+ 2.6ghz, 4gb DDR 800 memory, onboard ATI radeon HD 3200w/ hybrid CrossFirex on gigabyte S-series GA-MA78GPM-DS2H....

I got error below.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          2/21/2010 7:59:26 AM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      SH2
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-02-21T15:59:26.457612100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>80656</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>SH2</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

I really need to solve this problem.
Please help me out.
Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2018 Views 13,050 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Try updating the realtek audio driver. many users have solved this issue by updating the realtek driver.

See this link-

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/9e71f600-7c62-4869-8236-964e93d17936

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Telloin

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks telloin.
I updated realtek audio driver but I got the same error.
Anybody has another idea?
Please help me out.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I have the same issue excactly (Gateway SX2802-01) win 7 64bit
I ALSO have not gotten a response here...did you find a fix???

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!
I'm still looking for the solutions.
If I got something. I'll let you know.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue.  Running Windows 7 Pro from scratch on a brand new PC.  I get at least 1 crash per day and have 7 events logged of the same type described above.
I do have a RealTek HD Audio drivers but they are all up to datel.  Just seems to hang randomly - no apparent pattern to when it occurs.

Sorry this didn't help.

Here as well, Event 41,  Task  63, Critical,, Proc ID4,  Thread  8

error codes all 0's.  Just "turns off,"   Then retarts faster than normal and works for a couple of days!

Have lost ALOT of work!!! please, Advise.

emaerhtsisiht

Sorry this didn't help.

Troubleshooting kernel-power event id 41 can be one of the most frustrating issues to troubleshoot because there isn't a universal cause for it. A lot of people experience this problem for so many different reasons; think of it as a doctor treating a disease but every patient exhibits different symptoms and no two patients have the same virus (metaphorically speaking).

It's either going to be a software/driver issue or a hardware issue. A lot of people speculate that if the Stop Error BugcheckCode and the PowerButtonTimestamp both have an integer value of "0" then it's hardware related, but this is only supposition and not definitive.

There's a lot you can do to troubleshoot this error, and believe me when I say a lot, but before I get into any of that let's try two simple steps. Working on computers is a lot like applying the scientific method and the first step is analysis.

[1] Look for devices in conflict - Go into device manager and browse the different stacks looking for multiple devices which may be installed in the same location and be in conflict*.

A lot of Radeon users, such as myself, will have two audio drivers; one will be an AMD audio driver which comes with the catalyst driver package and the other will be the realtek which is usually the driver for the motherboard onboard audio device. For some reason the AMD audio driver will install itself onto the same high definition audio bus the realtek driver is using. If you look into device manager and you do happen to have multiple audio devices listed then disable the one not being used by the system. If you can't tell which one the system uses right click the speaker icon in the taskbar and open volume mixer. Up at the top you will see "Volume Mixer - Speakers (specified audio device)". The device specified in parenthese is the one being used by the system for sound so disable any other audio driver in device manager that is not the one listed in the volume mixer. A lot of people have fixed their kernel-power reboots by disabling any audio device that is not the one being used by the system.

*If you have a mutlticore processor and see multiple instances of your processor listed in the processor stack in device manager this is fine. For every core your processor has windows generates a virtual core; a quad core processor will have four instances of the processor listed in device manager. This is normal and not a device in conflict.

If you have a device in conflict disable it and reboot. If disabling the device in conflict doesn't resolve the issue of if you don't have any devices in conflict then proceed to step 2.

[2] Investigate other system event errors in event viewer - Whenever a kernel-power event id 41 is logged into event viewer usually an EventLog Event ID 6008 is generated as well. Look for the 6008 and it will state "the previous system shutdown at <specified time> on <specified date> was unexpected". Make note of the listed time in the 6008. This is the time that the kernel-power error caused the spontaneous reboot. Now look in event viewer and investigate errors by applications or windows services just prior to the time listed by the 6008. As an example if the EventLog Event ID 6008 lists the reboot at 3:35:42 PM then you want to investigate any system event which is an application or windows service error that is logged just prior to 3:35:42. So continuing the previous example if you see an application or service error logged at 3:31:57 this is a clue. Now scroll down the list looking up other kernel-power event id 41 errors and see if you see the same application or service error logged just prior to the event id 41. If looking down the list of events you see the same application or service event error you previously found logged just prior to every kernel-power event id 41 in event viewer then it's a pretty good chance this is the application or windows service forcing the reboots. If it's an application try uninstalling it and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't then you have found the culprit. If it's a windows service research the event id on the net and see if you can find steps to troubleshoot or manually force the service to restart itself.

If after doing all this your reboots persist then something else is wrong. Post back and we can continue troubleshooting some more.

Good luck everyone.

Sorry this didn't help.

hey, 

this problem persists usually when 2 drivers for one harware, ur case it may be if u have a ATI or nvidia graphics installed, wen the drivers are installed for these cards, they usually install the HD audio drivers too, which are meant to use the same bus as your Realtek hd audio, disable or install one of them and try again,

lemme noe if it works!

cheerS!

Sorry this didn't help.

Normally, I can usually figure out causes to issues like this. I really believed it had to do with Windows 7 but was able to recreate the same issue after installing XP.

My machine would just randomly reboot itself when I was right in the middle of normal tasks, such as surfing the internet. Sometimes right before it'd reboot and while it was booting up, I'd have multi-colored scrambled code show up on my screen while it was booting up so I'd have to shut it down and restart it manually. Event Viewer would state: Critical error, Kernel-Power, event Id: 41.

I thought about the possible causes over the course of a few months or so and couldn't figure out the cause, even after reinstalling Windows going from 7 to XP and replacing the thermal paste on my CPU. As far as I could tell, my machine didn't have any overheating issues. Because of this, I thought it might be something wrong with my motherboard.

It really seemed like an overheating issue to me, so I took off my heatsink again to make another attempt at replacing the thermal paste. My heatsink covers my video chip with a thermal pad in between. I replaced the thermal pad with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and it resolved the issue completely. I haven't had another random reboot since and it's been about a month now and the random reboots used to happen multiple times every day.

It appears my video chip was overheating using the thermal pad installed by the manufacturer.

Sorry this didn't help.

To check whether this scenario is occurring, press the CAPS LOCK key on the keyboard. When you do this, if the CAPS LOCK light on the keyboard does not change when you press the CAPS LOCK key, the computer may be completely unresponsive (hard hang).

This scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware. Another possibility is that a driver may cause this problem. To help isolate the problem, check the following items:
  1. Overclocking: Disable overclocking and see whether the issue happens when the system is run at the correct speed.
  2. Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.
  3. Power Supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices may require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.
  4. Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.
  5. Defaults: Use system defaults, and run the system.

If you see that the computer generates a Stop error that contains a BugcheckCode value that is not reported in an event ID 41, modify the restart behavior for the computer. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. Click Advanced system settings.
  3. Click the Advanced tab.
  4. In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
  5. Click to clear the Automatically restart check box.

Sorry this didn't help.