Windows 7 problems, no discs, tried to dell factory restore, error, tried to do a startup repair, more errors

Hi there. I have a Dell Studio XPS 16 Laptop running Windows 7 home premium. I've been having lots of problems with it. Sometimes it will not start up until after a few tries, always getting frozen while trying to run some tests. When I do have it on, I can only stream videos for a while before it starts to lag really badly. So I want to reformat and just start over. I have already backed up my files. 

I do not have any of the discs that came with the laptop, so I followed these instructions to do the dell factory image restore without a disc:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_336966&isLegacy=true

When I got to step 9 and clicked next, I got the error messages "Parameter is incorrect." From here I have to do a hard reboot do get out of there. I have tried this several times with the same result. 

This person had a similar issue and it ended up being a harddrive problem:
http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/183326-dell-1545-recovery-failure-parameter-incorrect.html

So I ran all the harddrive diagnostics (took all night), but it passed all the tests. 

After the tests it failed to reboot so I got the option to do a startup repair, which gave me the following error:

Unknown Bugcheck: Bugcheck f4. Parameters = 0x3, 0xfffffa80007ceeb30, 0xfffffa8007cebe10, 0xfffff80002fbc0e0.
Repair action: Failed. Error code = 0x490
Time taken = 891842ms

I restarted and it started up alright, but it's still having the same lag problems and occasionally won't start without a few tries.

This laptop is passed the warranty, so is there any way that I can reformat and get Windows 7 back on (wiped) without either buying Windows 7 or ordering the dell reinstallation discs? Any help would be much appreciated. Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks!
If the Factory Restore process does not work then you would have to order a Factory Restore DVD from Dell. They are likely to charge a handling fee.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2017 Views 322 Applies to: